The Samsung Galaxy S8 May Feature A Desktop Mode.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-desktop-experience-galaxy-s8-720x406.jpg

It seems like using your cell phone as your PC was a pretty neat and popular idea 3 or 4 years ago in Android. The Droid Bionic was one of the first devices to include the feature. You could slide the phone into the LapDock and the phone would power your PC experience. There were several other phones that could connect to a dock that you would plug into a monitor for use as a desktop PC. It looks like Samsung is building this same sort of functionality into the upcoming Galaxy S8.

The new S8 will be a performance power house with the all new Exynos octa-core processor and possibly 8GB of Samsung's fastest ever RAM. Samsung has historically included additional bells and whistles. Their marketing strategy has always been about out featuring the competitors even when some of those features are novel. The S8 may feature a Desktop experience which will include Windowed apps when connected with an external monitor and keyboard and mouse (presumably using a dock). There has been no confirmation from Samsung on this, but we will know more when the device is unveiled at a special even in New York City in April.

via SamMobile

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola did that a few years back, be interesting to see how Samsung goes about doing it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I remember that being done and didn't care much then, but it's interesting now, hate carrying the laptop to work, just having a monitor onsite would be nice.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Remember this commercial? I had the Bionic and the lap dock for a while; I waited and bought one used since they were so expensive.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I do remember that, didn't register then, but with processing speeds these days, it might makes sense for lite needs.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I do remember that, didn't register then, but with processing speeds these days, it might makes sense for lite needs.

Sent by my new S7-Edge
The docks were so expensive then, people shied away from them. I bought mine for $50 used about a year later. Didn't use it often but it was a cool concept.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
With screens being so inexpensive these days it shouldn't be difficult or expensive, don't need anything more that 1080ish

Sent by my new S7-Edge

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I felt like tablets killed that idea. A tablet with a KB dock was pretty much the same thing. Plus Android did not make a good computer os.

Hmmm I wonder if Samsung has something planned for this and their S pen Chromebook?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed my lapdock, except when compared to my PC... or laptop..

If they manage to make it better than moto did.. sure... would be cool, these devices are getting powerful enough, maybe convince steam to do a steam build and makes the games playable somehow... lots of older steam (even some new ones) could be made playable somehow... it will be interesting to see, I'd get a keyboard and mouse and hook this up to a tv or monitor just to try it out.