That darn power button on top!

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Gotta glue [rubber cement so it could be removed later if I want] a small piece of plastic on top of the power button so I don't have to fumble around for it!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
are you saying you can't find your power button?

its easy to find for me

I just grab the "chin" of the phone then move to the top right and BAM there it is.

the CHIN is very useful and should be used to your advantage

-=Jason=-

wil318466

Reaction score
Never thought about it because I'm used to it.. but I wonder if the power button would be better if it were slightly raised? It could possibly be worse, turning on in your pocket and stuff. Dunno..

-Wil

Geofferson

Reaction score
It's placement always seemed odd to me, but I can depress it fine (even w/ case).

ARZ

Reaction score
It's placement always seemed odd to me, but I can depress it fine (even w/ case).
I dont have a case but I agree with you. It is way better than the Dare I had. On that phone ANY other button on the phone would make the touch screen live and then it was only a matter of time before you were dialing someone from your pocket.

KUDOS to Motorola for figuring out that there should only be ONE button to unlock the screen.

Now if they could expand that functionality to the phone while you are IN a call.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gotta glue [rubber cement so it could be removed later if I want] a small piece of plastic on top of the power button so I don't have to fumble around for it!

Screen Mode Widget will, among other things, enable you to turn the phone on with the volume or the camera buttons.

sustained

Reaction score
... but I wonder if the power button would be better if it were slightly raised? It could possibly be worse, turning on in your pocket and stuff.
-Wil

Yeah, I think the OP will end up with a lot of unintentional turn-ons in his pocket if he raises the button. It's recessed for a reason.

But to each his own.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Screen Mode Widget will, among other things, enable you to turn the phone on with the volume or the camera buttons.

Can you describe where that option is? I downloaded it, and I only see a widget with three options: Auto Sleep, Awake Stay, and Screen Stay.

When I set it for "Screen-Stay", I am able to turn the screen on using the volume and camera buttons, but the screen is not locked.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Can you describe where that option is? I downloaded it, and I only see a widget with three options: Auto Sleep, Awake Stay, and Screen Stay.

When I set it for "Screen-Stay", I am able to turn the screen on using the volume and camera buttons, but the screen is not locked.

You can do the same thing with each of the other options, as well. By installing the widget you have enabled the volume and camera buttons to turn on the phone. Some folks like that behavior, some don't, but that's the behavior of all three "states."

I can only conclude that the developer's first language is not English from the odd labels used, but here is the way the widget works:

"Sleep Auto": Timeout works as usual. You get a lock screen when you turn on the phone with any of the buttons.

"Awake Stay": Timeout works as usual, but you bypass the lock screen by turning the phone on with any of the buttons.

"Screen Stay": The phone ignores the "timeout" setting and stays on. Note that if you have Screebl, it trumps "Screen Stay" and turns off if you put the phone down on a flat surface. In that case, Screen Stay and Awake Stay are identical.

In case it's not obvious, of course, only the power button can be used to manually turn off the phone in any of these settings. If the screen is on the volume and camera buttons return to their normal functions.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
You can do the same thing with each of the other options, as well. By installing the widget you have enabled the volume and camera buttons to turn on the phone. Some folks like that behavior, some don't, but that's the behavior of all three "states."
I guess it doesn't work, then?

Steps to Reproduce:
1). Put in "Auto-Sleep" mode.
2). Press Power to turn off screen
3). Press Camera button or Vol Up/Down

Expected Results:
Screen turns on

Actual Results:
Screen only turns on when power button is pressed

I also tested it by allowing the screen to timeout on it's own (replacing step 2 with "Wait for screen to turn off"). Same results. I was able to get it to work a couple times, but not reliably.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess it doesn't work, then?

Steps to Reproduce:
1). Put in "Auto-Sleep" mode.
2). Press Power to turn off screen
3). Press Camera button or Vol Up/Down

Expected Results:
Screen turns on

Actual Results:
Screen only turns on when power button is pressed

I also tested it by allowing the screen to timeout on it's own (replacing step 2 with "Wait for screen to turn off"). Same results. I was able to get it to work a couple times, but not reliably.

My apologies. You're right. (I always use "Awake Stay" since the main reason I got the widget was to skip the lock screen.) The behavior I described only works in the "Awake Stay" and "Screen Stay" modes.