Texting Large Groups on Droid

bigthinker

Reaction score
I am moving over from the BB Tour and on that device was able to text groups in excess of 100 people. Is that an option or an availability on the Droid 2.0....Does anyone know?

thegipper

Reaction score
I know you can text more than one person at a time. I send mass texts out to about 10 people at a time. No easy way to add them really.
I'm also not sure about the max you could txt at once.

OP
bigthinker

bigthinker

Reaction score
Is Hancent a program or app for the Droid Martin?

allan1058

Reaction score
it is ridiculous you cannot send a group text by picking the names from your contact list. I know there is an app to help with this but its crazy u can't do it using the regular SMS system

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's an APP.

I do agree I'd like to be able to pick from a list but when adding contacts to SMS it auto fills the name... so that does shorten it.

Hopefully something they will address in the Dec 11th update.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
it is ridiculous you cannot send a group text by picking the names from your contact list. I know there is an app to help with this but its crazy u can't do it using the regular SMS system

I haven't figured out why installing an app for this is such an outrageous problem for people. The concept of android is to provide an open source platform to develop from. It wasn't intended to be perfect. It was designed to be made perfect on a user by user basis.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
It's an APP.

I do agree I'd like to be able to pick from a list but when adding contacts to SMS it auto fills the name... so that does shorten it.

I really wish people would quit assuming this or any of the near future updates are going to fix every problem. Stating that is just silly. Many of these things will likely never be addressed since they can be achieved through third party apps.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's an APP.

I really wish people would quit assuming this or any of the near future updates are going to fix every problem. Stating that is just silly. Many of these things will likely never be addressed since they can be achieved through third party apps.

1. This isn't a problem. I've downloaded Handcent and have directed many people too. I agree Third Party Apps can create a ton of functionality that people are looking for.

2. I'm not assuming it's gonna be fixed... it'd be nice to see it addressed so the forums might not be so cluttered with a million threads about group SMS.

But thanks for your concern. I'm on your side boss...

zuit

Reaction score
ChompSMS is much better and allows you to bypass the 10 recipent limit on android 2.0. I simply installed ChompSMS from the Android Market and turned off its notifications of new messages because I prefer the built in sms manager for regular use.

ChompSMS gets the job done, bypassing the ten recipent limit, where other apps like handcent or txteasy can't, but still needs the ability to save group distribution lists. ChompSMS also starts generating a lot of Android errors because Android freaks out and keeps making popups saying "ChompSMS is sending a lot of TXT messages, do you wish to quit this app?"

I really hope to see someone develop a good bulk SMS app for the Droid. Notifying your friends about DUI checkpoints or Paris Hilton finger banging herself ontop a kitchen counter at the house party your at really can't wait for twitter / facebook / etc. Sometimes we need to notify a lot of people at once.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
*bump*

I am using Handcent
ok so I have a group called "the guys" in that group I have probably 30 guys I can send a batch text to them, but I can't forward a text via batch. anyway to send a batch text forward.

example I get a text from Joe. I want to send to "the Guys" if I just forward that text it will not send because it wasn't done in batch mode :(

I don't want to have to save the slides, or pic, or video and create a new batch text that is a PITA

-=Jason=-

Last edited:

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Handcent DOES NOT BATCH MMS messages :(

I sent a test Batch text to the guys asking " if you get this reply" I got an answer back from everyone.
I then sent a batch MMS with a photo and have not gotten an answer from anyone :(

this is pretty sad and might be a deal breaker for me and Handcent I hear CHOMP does Batch MMS?

-=Jason=-

OP
bigthinker

bigthinker

Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of Chomp or Handcent..Tried both of them and had problems with each.....I will keep another line on a BB Tour for mass texts....:motdroidhoriz:

smokinfish

Reaction score
Mass Test Personalizer is the app you need. You can make the text personal by putting %fname or %name at the beginning of you text and it will add the first name or the first and last name as you have it stored in your contacts list.
I use this all the time and it's great.

Danny