Texting: Is this a bug or the way it's supposed to work?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by amajamar, May 11, 2010.

1. amajamar

amajamar New Member

If I want to forward a text message to an email recipient, only phone contacts will populate the To: text box. I have email addresses in my contacts yet they won't populate the drop down boxes, only phone contacts. If I manually type in the email address it will send it no problem, but I have to retype the whole address each time.

How come?

Seems odd, I guess, but there are even stranger idiosyncrasies on our beloved Droids. (Like no speed dial... that's ridiculous:icon_evil:)
  2. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

I've never attempted to send a text message to an email address honestly. I do know that the only contacts that will auto-populate are contacts with a phone numbers listed as Mobile phone numbers. It attempts to be smart enough not to let you text a home/landline number.

From what I understand, not all carriers enable sms-to-email so maybe they didn't add that feature.
  3. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I am not sure if this would work but........ have you tried to long press on your text message content > copy then go to your email app, populate the email addresses then in the compose section long press again and paste. Like I said not sure if this would work but it is a possible work around.
  4. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

There is speed dial. long press on a home screen and add shortcut and select the person you want. bam, one touch speed dial.
  5. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Depends on your perspective. I've never had a device that would accept and email address as a recipient for text messaging. I've always had to text the carrier's gateway with the email address in the message body.

Have you looked into other messaging apps?