Text Messaging Crashing

SteveIrv

Reaction score
My D2G just started doing this yesterday......I'll open either stock txt messaging program or handcent (did uninstall handcent for testing), I'll type in 3 or 4 characters of a txt message, the phone will freeze for a moment and then the txt messaging application will force close on it's own. Handcent would open a dialog box asking if I wanted to force close or wait. Choosing either didn't seem to make any difference the app still crashed.

I don't know if this is caused by some change I made to a setting somewhere, or if I shut off a process somewhere by mistake, or deleted a file by mistake.

My D2G is a stock unit with the .608 update....not rooted or anything else. It's driving me nutz.....I can't txt.

Feudalplague

Reaction score
Well you could try and talk to them in person.... jkjk just sbf and then reupdate

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Well you could try and talk to them in person.... jkjk just sbf and then reupdate

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

A little research and it's fixed...no sbf required.

Seems that this problem has become fairly common since the GB update (don't know why). "Solution" was to go to Manage Applications, find either the Keyboard or Multitouch Keyboard and clear it's cache and data cache.

I doubt this would be a permanent fix, so...taking some other advice, I installed "Gingerbread Keyboard" from the app store.

Jonas

Reaction score
google "swype" on your phone, and install that. It's my personal favorite, and they are currently very a VERY stable Beta, so it's free right now, and it's never given me a single problem. Just to warn you, this keyboard is going to take you a day or two to get used to. You can still touch each individual letter like a normal keyboard, or you can "swype" your fingers between the letters, and it will type the word for you. theres a video explaining it all, but once you get the hang of it, you'll probably never go back to a single letter keyboard again. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Never mind heres the link you need.
https://beta.swype.com/android/create/welcome/

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
You cannot install Swype on a D2G if your phone isn't rooted. The library residing in /system/lib is incompatible with non-Motorola versions of Swype.

D2G comes with Swype (an old version) preinstalled.

If you remove libSwypeCore.so, you can install the generic version; Alt Lock key won't work with it, however. Note: the current beta force closes on me.

Jonas

Reaction score
You cannot install Swype on a D2G if your phone isn't rooted. The library residing in /system/lib is incompatible with non-Motorola versions of Swype.

D2G comes with Swype (an old version) preinstalled.

If you remove libSwypeCore.so, you can install the generic version; Alt Lock key won't work with it, however. Note: the current beta force closes on me.

Good point, that never even occurred to me, since I don't think I've had an unrooted phone in ages. Sorry for my bad advice. :(

cgoodnow

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with the texting crashing, and what you said about clearing the data worked perfectly. Anyone know what the underlying issue is?

wdavis73

Reaction score
Texting locking up

Clearing the data worked and was very easy to do. Thank you so much! It was driving me crazy not to be able to text.

thedubbledutch

Reaction score
my phone is doing something similar to that, whenever i press the '?' button it freezes and crashes my phone til i do a soft reset. i already uninstalled my task killer and turned off all the suggestion autocap autopunctuation show suggestion stuff. anybody have any clue how to fix it?