Text messaging app on desktop

josh1980

Reaction score
Anyone know of any SMS text messaging apps that will let you SMS from your desktop?

I used to use PDANet's SMS feature via USB cable, but it stopped working at some point. Right now I can send SMS messages from the program. But when I receive them they don't show up on my desktop. I have to check the phone to find out what someone said to me. So I literally pick up the phone to read a text, then put the phone down to type a response on my desktop. Also the messages I send from my desktop don't show up in my texting history, but they do get sent. Not the elegant solution I want. I emailed their tech support for assistance and they asked me to reinstall the drivers. It didn't fix it. Then they told me that my bluetooth drivers might not be up-to-date. I emailed them back that this is a desktop and it has no bluetooth card so it's definitely not a driver issue. They haven't replied back :(.

Anyway, I just want to be able to have a window that shows my texts on my desktop and lets me send them back through the phone using the same window. Any program has to use USB or Bluetooth(if I install my small Bluetooth USB dongle).

Anyone have any advice for either my issue with PDANet or a recommendation of another program that works well?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Mightytext.net. Not Bluetooth or USB, but cellular by the internet!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
J

josh1980

Reaction score
@ FoxKat -

WOW. It works fine... except I see only phone numbers instead of contact names. I'm not sure I'm very crazy about sending my texts over internet. Might look into mightytext more before I commit to them.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely going to look into it. I'm just not sure it will work for all of my needs since sometimes I'll be on my laptop and with no internet(I know.. I could tether) I'm thinking this program won't work.

phildavis516

Reaction score
Google Voice is awesome for text messaging from PC and so is Yahoo Messenger.

OP
J

josh1980

Reaction score
Google Voice would require texts be sent/received to my Google Voice number, right? That won't really cut it for me since nobody knows my Google Voice number and people would not know which number to text.

Yahoo Messenger won't work because sent texts will not show up on my phone as sent messages. I really do need to keep the message history of texts on my phone.

fitnesstracker

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but incase anyone stumbles upon this still looking for a good desktop texting app I suggest Text Desk. The thing I like about it compared to ALL the others is that it doesn't require ANY personal information to use at all! These days I worry about how much personal information I give out and what info about me is stored in the "cloud". With Text Desk I DON'T have to setup an account, give my email address, give my mobile phone number, or login with Facebook, Google, etc. Literally it requires NO personal information at all to use. The UI blows away any browser based desktop texting solution in my opinion. Anyway just a suggestion. Here is the link: Desktop cloud texting that's all about your privacy - Text Desk