email shortcut on desktop

angelman

Reaction score
Rather than using text messaging which costs money I generally email text messages to friends. I wondered if there was a way of getting an email address as a shortcut on the desktop.
There seems to be shortcuts for everything except email.
Maybe there is an app for that..

xandor

Reaction score
You press and hold on a blank area of the home screen, choose Shortcut, then email. It will let you select which account to make an icon for.

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
I don't see an option for email
I have applications, bookmarks, contact, direct dial, direct message directions, gmail label, music playlist and settings...
I could use contact and then get to email address but I was hoping for something even more direct than that, a direct email option..

markmicallef

Reaction score
shortcut> Application >Gmail or Email

I don't see an option for email
I have applications, bookmarks, contact, direct dial, direct message directions, gmail label, music playlist and settings...
I could use contact and then get to email address but I was hoping for something even more direct than that, a direct email option..

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
I have that already but that is just going to open gmail application not start an email to a specific contact?
I want a shortcut on the desktop that says something like wife (text) and clicking on it will bring up gmail new mail with the <phone number>@vtext.com already in the "to" field

markmicallef

Reaction score
shortcut>Direct Message>(select contact name)

I have that already but that is just going to open gmail application not start an email to a specific contact?
I want a shortcut on the desktop that says something like wife (text) and clicking on it will bring up gmail new mail with the <phone number>@vtext.com already in the "to" field

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
Sorry that's still not right... :)
That will text message the person directly for sure.
What I want to do is EMAIL a text message to a person ie. send an email to [email protected]
This way I am using data to send a text message and don't need a text plan. Of course if I get google voice this whole thing goes away anyway
It would still be useful though to be able to direct email someone and just press a shortcut and have it compose a new email to a contact immediately.