Tether Madness!!!!!!!

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So I've asked before, but didn't really get much of a response from people.. My question is, does anyone use PdaNet or EasyTether (or root wi-fi hotspot) to use their Android phone as a primary source of internet? How much data do you use per month? And has Big Red even contacted you regarding your data use (or overuse)?

cloud12077

Reaction score
So I've asked before, but didn't really get much of a response from people.. My question is, does anyone use PdaNet or EasyTether (or root wi-fi hotspot) to use their Android phone as a primary source of internet? How much data do you use per month? And has Big Red even contacted you regarding your data use (or overuse)?

I use easy tether (only when my power goes out). there isn't really any way (at least that I'm aware of) that Verizon can track phone internet vs. tethered internet.

You should be safe.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Good to hear! I guessing I will use about 15GB/month phone and computer combined... Interesting to see if I get a threat call from Big Red.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
lol.... wow, I predict this thread going down hill very quickly.... lol

BUT.... with that said, I tether and have cancelled my home inet completly. I did that in June. Haven't had any issues because I HAVE UNLIMITED DATA!!!11 lol

but here we go though.... people are about to start saying
"it's a violation of your T.O.S. and Verizon can cancel you and charge you Early termination fees" <----(but they can't ever show one time that this has happened)

"it's going to lead to tiered pricing"

"you'll get a 18K bill" (and they'll link a story from a dumbphone back in 2003 like it's the same thing

So tether away... stream videos, play your PS3.... Verizon doesn't care

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Verizon cares and if they KNOW you're tethering they'll nail you hard. However, there's no cap on your data and they don't look into things too carefully for the most part.

Let me say this again -- there is no cap on data through your Droid whatever unless you use the built-in hotspot feature.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
I have used both EasyTether and PDAnet, both worked well but not enough to get rid of my home internet completely.

Now Wireless tether I have no idea about, in order to use it would you have to use it while 3G Mobile Hotspot is also on? I'd like to try it but have no idea on how it works, just recently rooted my D2.

To the OP, forgive me if my post went off topic. If I were to get rid of my home internet it would only be if I could run all of my WiFi devices. So I figured I ask.

Sent from Droid2

Reaction score
I have used both EasyTether and PDAnet, both worked well but not enough to get rid of my home internet completely.

Now Wireless tether I have no idea about, in order to use it would you have to use it while 3G Mobile Hotspot is also on? I'd like to try it but have no idea on how it works, just recently rooted my D2.

To the OP, forgive me if my post went off topic. If I were to get rid of my home internet it would only be if I could run all of my WiFi devices. So I figured I ask.

Sent from Droid2

3g mobile hotspot isn't even in the picture. All you have to do is root, flash chevys or slayhers kernal, download app, and then start the app. Simple dancedroid

mrs

Reaction score
PDAnet

I use PDAnet because it is the only tether that will enable me to connect to my corp VPN. I have not been charged a tether fee and do not intend to, since VZN corp told me that tethering was not an option on the Devour. (So stupid... How could a smart phone not have the option to tether?) I use it form my primary source of internet for work. I'm on line 2-4hrs a day uploading and downloading data nearly the entire time. I tried EasyTether, but could not connect to my VPN, plus, I think it was a little slower than PDAnet (JMO).

mikehal38

Reaction score
My vzw contact told me that they are not going after people who tether. He roots and tethers his phone and said not to worry about it. He is very high in the business channel so I tend to believe him.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

HamDog

Reaction score
In my opinion, the amount of data used from people illegally tethering is minimal and immaterial to Verizon's data network (in the larger scope of things). The majority of people doing this are dedicated Droid fans who take the time to research and stay on top of things.

It would probably cost Verizon more to put safeguards against this than anything gained from stopping it. On a grand scale, the amount of data clogging Verizon's network is not due to illegal tethering and probably won't even put a dent in it. If in the future this become prevalent and affects their network, you can bet they'll control it.

And don't be fooled by those who say "Verizon has no way to know"! I'm an old IT guy who left the field a long time ago, but I'm sure there's something in the 7-layer OSI model to allow Verizon to determine where the data request is coming from and how it can be distinguished from the phone. And if there isn't, I'm sure a modification to our phone (via an update) will help them make this change. Sure, there will always be hacks around it, but they can make it so cumbersome that only a few of the die hards will continue while the majority will give up. Again, I'm not saying this will happen anytime soon as the extra data used to illegal tethers are immaterial!

mikehal38

Reaction score
Yes verizon has the ability to find people who are tethering but at this time it just doesn't benefit them to use the resources to go after anyone. When LTE becomes widespread that may change. I know if I had LTE in my area I would drop my cable bill and tether my phone for free and verizon knows this. Until then though I say tether away.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

HamDog

Reaction score
Mikehal, I agree. It's just not worth it for Verizon to go after illegal tethering because the extra data we use is immaterial to them.

My girlfriend just got the EVO and we live in a 4G area. Sprint's tethering plan, which runs $30/month, is UNLIMITED data if in a 4G area, but they have a cap of 5Gig on their 3G network, just like Verizon. She just dropped her home DSL service because 4G is FASTER! I get speeds up to 6.1M download which is amazing.

I'm a daytrader and I use TONS of data all day long. I have 6 monitors showing lots of charts which are constantly downloading every tick on the stock markets. I pay $45/month to Verizon for my home DSL (7.1M download speed). Tethering on 3G can't handle that kind of data. But I may drop my Verizon home DSL when LTE comes out. And I think they will compete with Sprint and offer unlimited data on LTE for their tethering plan. If I can save money by dropping my home DSL, I wouldn't mind paying for LTE tethering service instead of rooting and getting it for free. If not, I'll just continue rooting!

If LTE is as good as I think it will be, I will also drop my home DSL.

yamaredman

Reaction score
Mr. Verizon and I are good friends... we play golf every Thursday.

According to him, tethering causes cancer, so I'd be careful if I were you.