Quick tethering question

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok my cable internet is down and going to be down until at least Monday. Something burned up and they have to dig up the road. But that requires state permits. So I am tethering with PDANet right now. My question is how much tethering can I do before it might put up a red flag on excessive data use???

smokinfish

Reaction score
Our Verizon rep was just in our office yesterday and I asked him about tethering from our Droid. He said we had 5gb a month and there is no way for them to tell how we use them. Either downloading from our phone or tethering. He also showed us his Incredible and it has tethering that comes standard with the phone. He said he uses it all of the time. The only thing he didn't tell me was how to keep track of how many gb you use. I'm thinking there is something in your online billing that shows so you can keep track of it.

btw. We've had this rep for a while with our company and he seems pretty knowledgeable for what ever that is worth.

D

dthank

Reaction score
You can check your monthly data usage on the Verizon website or on your billing statements. I don't know how they would really catch you, but I think it'd be smart to make sure your data usage with tethering isn't excessively higher than the average amount of data you use per month. Just try to keep it in moderation I suppose. But then again, I'm not sure if they would be able to probe you were tethering.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
a rep in another thread said they can catch you and its easy. so idk

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Trust me I am not using it for downloading or streaming. Just for basic browsing.

Reaction score
It is rare that I ever use it, but when I do it is basic browsing as well. I don't believe that Verizon will ever find out if you tether unless you abuse it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Our Verizon rep was just in our office yesterday and I asked him about tethering from our Droid. He said we had 5gb a month and there is no way for them to tell how we use them.

The Rep is mis-informed there is no data limit on the Droid.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Agreed, no limit for the Verizon smart phone plan. There is a Verizon app in the market that tells you the bandwidth you've used. It is called My Verizon.

I wouldn't worry about just casual web browsing. Folks have even hooked up their xbox and not had an issue. I'd think you'd be fine if you aren't streaming Netflix and watching Hulu through your phone's connection. People have done it with no issue, I just wouldn't myself.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Many threads on this issue. Whenever one disappears another rises like a Phoenix. Simple answer is that there's no documented case on this board of anyone being charged for occasional tethering of a Droid.

On other questions, the previous poster is correct; there is no 5 gig limit for the Droid. Just a prohibition against tethering, period.

The Incredible does support tethering as a Verizon supported feature. However, that plan does have a 5 gigabyte monthly limit and it involves an additional $25 per month charge. That is actually a "sale price" compared to the usual $30 charge. To further confuse matters, there is also a $10-$15 a month tethering charge for unnamed "android" devices. It, too, has a five gigabyte limit.

As to whether Verizon can theoretically determine if you're tethering, the jury's out. Suffice to say that it doesn't appear they're interested in sleuthing out those who are doing so on an occasional basis.

Suffice to say, also, that Verizon has managed to confuse this entire topic so badly that I doubt anyone at Verizon has "the last word."