taskiller and 3g usage

papp_e

Reaction score
When I first got my droid2 I installed taskiller because i was told it would help a lot...so I had been just killing every task when i saw memory get below 100mb or so. Then I realized theres stuff I should 'ignore' and not kill every time. So I went in and ignored some things that made sense and after that whenever I went to kill tasks, and even when I wasnt killing tasks, my 3G would be always connected doing something. even with all widgets and bg data turned off it would constantly be transfering both ways, so constantly that it would kill my battery amazingly fast. so i restored and everything and installed everything fresh again and it seemed to be all good. then came reinstalling taskiller. i installed it and ignored the same things i though should be ignored and the problem came back, so i un-ignored everything, killed it and uninstalled taskiller.

So to my point...anyone know why killing or ignoring certain things would do this?

Thanks much!
-Fellow droid2 user

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
Thanks for fast response and helpful info. I wont be doing that stuff anymore..

As far as my specific issue, or past issue, do you have any ideas what caused the data usage to go crazy?

Reaction score
because you were killing the apps and then android was reopening them in the background and some needed to gather info thus using your 3g. you should have solved that by uninstalling the task killer

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
Well it wasn't a problem when I first got the phone and using the task killer. I would normally kill ALL tasks and the data usage wasnt going crazy. This is where my questions lies. Its only after I chose to IGNORE killing certain important looking tasks that the data was being crazy. I was using taskiller right after I opened the phone and it wasnt using crazy data or killing my battery. I didnt install anything new, change widget settings...etc.

I had a few ideas last night:

Facebook is linked to my contacts, and when I link them from a fresh start it uses a lot of data to grab the thumbnails. Maybe it was refreshing these? This idea still doesnt explain my data ALWAYS being active, even hours after linking my fb account.

The problem went away for a few hours and appeared to be fixed after I randomly unchecked and REchecked the "allow google to use wireless networks" box. So for a bit I thought it could have been the maps update google just released a few days ago, so I uninstalled that. But then my data went crazy again.

I checked the battery usage and the android system seemed higher than normal, so I looked into it and it and its associated processes are transferring a lot of data, its receiving more than double its sending.

My biggest issue is that this wasnt happening before, then I chose to 'ignore' certains processes and apps, and data usage went crazy. I have noooooo idea and I was about ready to shoot myself when this was happening.

Anybody with similar problems???
Wahhh

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that task killers cause more problems than they solve. Therefore, I do not use one and advise others to remove.

Mike