Taking my Droid to Mexico

nickv84

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm going to Mexico after the holidays and I am interested in only using data (email, text, browsing, apps) while I'm there since the Verizon voice rates are crazy ($0.99 per min). So what I'm doing is enabling the $64.99 unlimited global data plan during my stay and downgrading back to the $29.99 plan when I get home. For 9 days the marginal cost should be around $10.50 over the normal data plan (64.99 - 29.99 *[9/30]). It seems almost too good to be true.

Does anyone have experience doing this, specifically in Mexico?

Is the coverage good down there? Their coverage map south of the border reminds me of AT&T's 3G map

Do any of the apps cover Mexico? Google maps, Layar, etc? Any travel app recommendations are also welcome.

También si alguien tiene alguna recomendación de lo que hacer en México (Monterrey), soy todos oídos :)

will.anaya

Reaction score
are you sure that you can downgrade after 9 days? i was told that you can upgrade whenever you want during the month but you have to wait till the next billing cycle to downgrade.

OP
N

nickv84

Reaction score
Well the Verizon rep I spoke to said you can change your plan anytime during the billing cycle and it will be prorated. Although I'm kind of curious if anyone has experience doing this.

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
I just went to Cancun a couple of weeks ago. I changed my plan to what they called the 'Mexico Plus' plan for the time I was there, then switched back again when I got back. I didn't add the data plan, only voice. They prorated my bill for the time I was down there. The coverage down there for voice calls was fine. The only time I used data was through wifi.

OP
N

nickv84

Reaction score
I just went to Cancun a couple of weeks ago. I changed my plan to what they called the 'Mexico Plus' plan for the time I was there, then switched back again when I got back. I didn't add the data plan, only voice. They prorated my bill for the time I was down there. The coverage down there for voice calls was fine. The only time I used data was through wifi.

Good to know, thanks. Consequently do they have the same power plugs/currents for phone charging?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I wonder if they got the same thing for Canada...planning to go there sometime in the spring.

OP
N

nickv84

Reaction score
I wonder if they got the same thing for Canada...planning to go there sometime in the spring.

If you're really close to the border (i.e. Windsor) then you'll be able to pick up a US signal. Otherwise give Verizon a call, they've actually been helpful.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did just this when I went to India and it worked just fine. By that I mean upgraded to the Global Data Plan. When you get back and down grade, it's prorated. So you don't even have to pay for a full month if you only need the Global Plan for a couple of weeks.

OP
N

nickv84

Reaction score
Yes, I did just this when I went to India and it worked just fine. By that I mean upgraded to the Global Data Plan. When you get back and down grade, it's prorated. So you don't even have to pay for a full month if you only need the Global Plan for a couple of weeks.

In India did you use CDMA or GSM (I think I remember reading somewhere they had both)?

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score

Good to know, thanks. Consequently do they have the same power plugs/currents for phone charging?

Yeah, the power outlets are the same as here.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In India did you use CDMA or GSM (I think I remember reading somewhere they had both)?

Both my phones are CDMA.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused. My understanding was that unlike Blackberry the Droid was not a "World" phone. While you could use WiFi and communicate by texting that voice calling was out of the question.:huh:

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
India has a CDMA cell phone infrastructure. Thus the Verizon phones worked just fine there.