T-Mobile's Q2 Results Help it Pull Ahead of Sprint to Become No. 3 in the US

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
t-mo-john-legerre-the-uncarrier.jpg

T-Mobile is still out front leading the charge for customer value and growth in the United States carrier industry. Their second quarter results jump them ahead of Sprint to become the third largest carrier in the US. In several metrics they are actually leading their top rivals AT&T and Verizon. Here's a snippet from their press release,

• Led the industry with total revenue growth of 8.0% year-over-year on a pro forma combined basis
  • Led the industry with service revenue growth of 7.1% year-over-year on a pro forma combined basis
  • Adjusted EBITDA of $1.45 billion, leading the industry with 33.4% growth quarter-over-quarter
  • Total net customer additions of 1.5 million, fifth consecutive quarter with over 1 million total net customer additions
  • Led the industry with branded postpaid phone net adds of 579,000 and branded prepaid net adds of 102,000
  • Tablets drove record mobile broadband net additions of 329,000, up by a factor of five versus the prior quarter
  • Continued record low branded postpaid phone churn of 1.5%, flat year-over-year and sequentially
  • America’s Fastest Nationwide 4G LTE network, now covering more than 233 million people in 325 metro areas
  • Today announced that T-Mobile now has nationwide VoLTE coverage
  • T-Mobile and MetroPCS brands ranked highest in J.D. Power Wireless Customer Care Study

The Uncarrier definitely has the "eye of the tiger" in this fight. Their hunger is launching them forward at a dramatic pace. I'll bet Masayoshi Son, the CEO of Softbank is wishing he had just bought T-Mobile instead of Sprint right about now...

Here's a source link for more info: Businesswire

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Here's to hoping that their suburban and rural service adds and upgrades roll out in a timely fashion. Allegedly, their 700 MHz band allocations will be implemented next year, which will vastly help with coverage and building penetration. The competition is welcomed!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to say I'm one of those who helped the good numbers and am one who helped raise the post paid churn numbers of Verizon by 4 lines of service. I might not have blazing lte speeds in my more rural ventures but I've yet to encounter any areas without phone call capacity other than a small area inside of a local grocery store that everyone struggles with getting signal to and once away from that trouble spot my reception is far better than I had with Verizon throughout the rest of that store.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I took advantage of the T-Mo Test Drive to see how things faired for my home and work locations. T-Mo had better 4G in the all metal building that I work in but I was on Edge most of the time at my house 4.5 miles away. Twice, I have spoken with the 'official' T-Mo store about when a site will be added in our small but growing suburb. They tell me that it is on the list. In the post Test Drive survey, I reiterated my request by zip code for coverage in our burb.

That said, the T-Mo telephone coverage is fine so I will be moving my wife off of our 'out of contract' VZW plan to T-Mo, first. She is on a feature phone, still and will be getting a Moto G. I am waiting to see what Moto has this Fall and then I will likely make the jump.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I took advantage of the T-Mo Test Drive to see how things faired for my home and work locations. T-Mo had better 4G in the all metal building that I work in but I was on Edge most of the time at my house 4.5 miles away. Twice, I have spoken with the 'official' T-Mo store about when a site will be added in our small but growing suburb. They tell me that it is on the list. In the post Test Drive survey, I reiterated my request by zip code for coverage in our burb.

That said, the T-Mo telephone coverage is fine so I will be moving my wife off of our 'out of contract' VZW plan to T-Mo, first. She is on a feature phone, still and will be getting a Moto G. I am waiting to see what Moto has this Fall and then I will likely make the jump.

I happened to drop my M8 in a pool a couple weeks ago and am using some free flip phone from TMobile. This stupid little phone gets the best call quality ever. I used wifi calling on my M8 at home but since this phone can't do that, I've had to deal with the single bar of reception. And by deal with it I mean have perfect call quality, not one dropped call, no breaking up, nothing. I've even had it show me a red X showing now reception and calls still go through. My M8 never had that good of call quality on the tower's signal. I haven't replaced my M8 yet because I've been waiting for pay day (my wife wrecked my WRX a bit and I had to shell out the deductible....ouch).

My wife has an M8 too and we were vacationing in Monterey last week. She had no signal for most of the time and yet I could call everywhere on that little flip phone.

TMobile also got an offer of 15B from Iliad, a French telecom.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101868300

hradek422

Reaction score
Off topic, but every time I see that guy from T-Mobile, he gets creepier and creepier looking. He's trying to fight aging, and it's just not working out for him. Reminds me of Steve Buscemi. Lol.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but every time I see that guy from T-Mobile, he gets creepier and creepier looking. He's trying to fight aging, and it's just not working out for him. Reminds me of Steve Buscemi. Lol.
Guess I'm showing my tv watching time but last commercial I saw for them there was a nice looking woman riding a motorcycle in a skin tight leather body suit that she filled out nicely in the right places. Haven't seen creepy dude.

hradek422

Reaction score
It's the guy in the picture in the first post of this thread. The CEO of the company.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I don't care what the numbers say, T-Mobile sucks in too many areas around me. I shouldn't be shocked that they ousted Sprint, yet I am.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's the guy in the picture in the first post of this thread. The CEO of the company.
Thanks. I was thinking Russian , maybe Serbian?, mobster when I saw that more than creepy dude.
Jackie,I was so used to Verizon being horrid around me I got used to WiFi or wait until around WiFi so having just 2g solid data in rural areas has been a real winner for me.
2yqupaga.jpg