System Folder-Ringtones

zzfx01

Reaction score
I want to put my custom ringtones into RAM, and Ideally, remove the Stock, Default ringtones that come with the Droid 2. Same for Notifications

I have done some preliminary searching of the archives and some advice has yielded the following set-up.

Right now, I have
Droid 2 Global
Rooted using Z4 Root (works fine, have installed Wireless Tether)
I installed "Mount System R/W" and it says "System dir remounted with r/w Permissions"

I have tried with both Astro and Yaffs Explorers. I copy from the SDcard, a test Ringtone, Navigate to the System folder, media, Audio, Ringtones. Then I try Paste, No luck. Trying to Delete a file, say Beatplucker, gives an Error.

The Ringtone I am trying to copy over is an MP3, not an OGG. If I converted, would that solve the problem? I guess I will try that next, but I'm dubious.

It's important I do this, cause I want to have my Phone hooked to a computer while I work, so i can access it's SDcard. However, when the SDcard is mounted so a PC can see it, the Phone cannot access the Ringtones on the SDcard. Iincoming calls default to a built in Ringtone.

I currently have about 15 groups, each group having a custom ringtone and SMS notification. Using Contacts GroupU (free) and GO SMS pro (paid)

I have not flashed a custom ROM, but will do so if there is a compelling argument that it will fix my issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've done this on my DX with no problems, except I either use the command line.
It's possible that even though those apps are saying they mounted /system rw, it doesn't mean they really did. I use ES file explorer, it says it mounted it rw but didn't. I mount it using a shell script from the command line.

Also, I didn't bother converting to ogg, it will work as mp3 but you will have to reboot after placing them.