Sync with outlook?

Detonation

Reaction score
No, i work at Cisco.. i'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Everything has to happen via VPN.

Same thing here. Only way to access the email servers is to connect from within the work's network (so either via my work desktop, a VPN, or webmail). Tried to get it on my Droid but they do not allow mobile connections, other than company issued blackberry's.

Or are they totally paranoid about any external link?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you've never worked at a large corporation. Security != paranoia.

raduray

Reaction score
One nice feature of gsyncit is that you can set it up to show and sort your contacts last name first.

nateccnn

Reaction score
There used to be a VPNC client on the market that allowed you to connect through a Cisco router. Have not even looked at it in months but I know that was how our students connected in the lab settings.

Once again...knowledge is the limiting factor...not the device. Just whip up some linux and make it connect.

The thing about Android is we just don't have a lot of drop in solutions. But the solutions are there.

Nate

clsales

Reaction score
For sync directly with Outlook, you'll need to find a solution such as CompanionLink. There are several threads on this topic that I recommend referring to but I don't have links handy (I'd have to search, same as you). The other threads do have other solutions suggested.

Thanks for the shoutout takeshi!

CompanionLink USB does indeed support sync of contacts, calendar, tasks and notes directly between Outlook and Android.

We've worked with enough business users to recognize that there are many cases in which wireless sync or syncing to Google is not an option. Since Android does not have any sort of native tasks or notes applications, we developed an Android app called DejaOffice to handle tasks and notes, as well as provide business users with a more robust calendar and address book.

CompanionLink USB runs $39.95, and a 14-day free trial is available at www.companionlink.com/android. DejaOffice is a free download from the Android Market or at www.dejaoffice.com.

bricko

Reaction score
Sync native

Thanks for the info on your software for syncing native without exchange etc. But it would be great if there was a native Android base system that all the developers could tap into and perhaps add to or manipulate. It would seem to simplify things, but not being a developer, maybe not. But will test and see .

Looking at getting the Droid X or the next version with 3.0 on it. But coming from an iPhone I have been doing some research on how the Android system handles sync with Outlook contacts, calendar, appointments etc. directly...not through Google Cal etc. Looks like it is lacking in this dept.

I know since iPhone is a closed system they can direct how things are done...that is good and bad.. But the Android folks really need to belly up to the system and get a native sync system that hooks directly with Outlook and its various pieces. If Apple can do it...then so can Android. We in the lay public are not interested in futzing with workarounds or rooting or hacking.

We just want to hook it up, sync and move on. Not the least bit interested in digging around inside.

Maybe if any Google Android folks lurk here they will move the 3.0 in a more mature direction. Focus less on crap ware like video etc and get the underlying system solid and intuitive for anyone picking up the system, then work on the crapware.

Hopeful, but will try some of the other solutions such as CompanionLink and Missing Sync. Missing has just updated their sync app also.

Thanks

jwbtx

Reaction score
MW, are you finding that accepted meetings wont appear on your calendars?

jwb

I use the corporate Email app with Exchange. My contacts and calendar work well. The only issue -- accepting meetings.

Hope that helps.

Mike