Swapping Internal memory storage...

LostRacer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Since my phone is now out of commission I plan on getting another one. But I'd like to swap the storage chip over. Is there any problem software wise in doing this?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm confused why you would even need to do that...why not just copy your internal storage contents to a computer and then when you get the new phone, move the contents to the new internal memory storage.

Unless by out of commission you mean inoperable...though if it was just a cracked screen or digitizer, it might still be possible to pull the contents.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You should be able to just plug it into your computer and grab the files you want, as syndicate mentioned.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
You should be able to just plug it into your computer and grab the files you want, as syndicate mentioned.

^This.

If this isn't possible, it would probably be much easier to replace the screen and digitizer. I have heard of folks doing that successfully themselves.

harvpa

Reaction score
My Verizon Galaxy Nexus 32 GB got a broken screen, got a 16 GB replacement, discovered that it is easy to swap the memory between the two if you don't mind cracking the case...

I can take some pictures tomorrow, but it's just a matter of opening the case and pulling one pcb off and swapping...

Looks like the GSM version is different and not so easy to do the swap.

OP
L

LostRacer

Reaction score
Fixed my phone. lol. I received a broken refurb that had a faulty usb charging port. Since you have to dismantle the whole phone to swap that out, I put in my old stuff and the phone works like new. the screen is so smooth. I missed that, lol. Booted right up like nothing ever happened :) I am a happy camper.