[Suggestion] Way to improve search function?

gszeman

Reaction score
I put this here as there is no Site/Forum Feature suggestion area...

No offense intended, but the Search function of this forum is really useless. When you search for anything, it pulls up WAY to many non related results. I searched for a thread, I had the exact name of the thread title, Motorola Shadow/Xtreme drops into Verizons Inventory!, and the thread was listed about halfway doen the 4th page of search results...

I'm assuming that this leads to A LOT of the duplicate posts, or the posts that start with: I searched for this issue but didn't find anything...

I've seen on other forums where you have the option to do several things to narrow your results:

• Be able to include quotes around your search term. The results will only show threads that contain the words in your criteria in the exact order that you typed it.
  • Be able to select the option to search for ANY or ALL search terms.
  • Something similar to an eBay search function...where you can include +/ - to include/exclude search terms.

I actually have better luck doing a Google search to find things in this forum...for example, test it out by searching as I did for: Motorola Shadow/Xtreme drops into Verizons Inventory! here in the search box, and then trying a Google search for the same...

Anyways, just a suggestion. I know there would be a ton less useless posts/threads started if searching were easier.

Or if there is a way (I looked through the advanced functions and didn't notice anything), please let me know how to do it and disregard this post :p

notamamasboy

Reaction score
Could not agree with you any more... I have a hard time searching for things... thankfully, I'm post-shy...

OP
gszeman

gszeman

Reaction score
Next time you need to search for something, try googling it instead of using the search function in the forums...you will usually find what you are looking for in droidforums within the first few results...it just sucks that you have to do that instead of using the search function here. You can even add droidforums to your search...but I usually find that it finds those pretty easily anyways.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

psrumors

Reaction score
Bump for a great suggestion

I am trying to search in topic titles only for "Voice Plus"

20 pages, 485 threads are returned. After the 5th page I gave up looking. Not a single topic had both voice & plus listed.

I tried +voice +plus "Voice Plus" & voice plus. Nothing seems to work.