Streaming audio to a car stereo?

Livin PA

Reaction score
Hi, I am an owner (6 months now) and a big fan of the Motorola Droid. Anyway I want to start using my phone as an MP3 player and I was wondering if it was possible to stream audio and have control of of the Droid via my car's stereo system. My current vehicle isn't capable of this function but my next vehicle (Either the 2011 Ford Mustang or 2011 Chevy Camaro) have audio systems that can. So is it possible to stream audio via Bluetooth or will I need a separate attachment? Plus can I get instructions for setting this up? Thanks.

Vexed235

Reaction score
If you have a bluetooth receiver of any kind you can use it to stream the audio from your Droid. (If the vehicle does not come equipped you can use something like the Motorola MOTOROKR T3 Bluetooth Handsfree Kit...)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We've used cassette adapters for what seems like a long time to bring our own audio with us in the car. Out of all of the features in a car one showstopper would be a new car without either a cassette player or a headphone plug to jack into. Bluetooth would be acceptable to me too. FM transmitters aren't something I've had much like with.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
If you have a bluetooth receiver of any kind you can use it to stream the audio from your Droid. (If the vehicle does not come equipped you can use something like the Motorola MOTOROKR T3 Bluetooth Handsfree Kit...)

Great thanks, do you know if it's possible to control the Droids audio functions from the cars audio system?

We've used cassette adapters for what seems like a long time to bring our own audio with us in the car. Out of all of the features in a car one showstopper would be a new car without either a cassette player or a headphone plug to jack into. Bluetooth would be acceptable to me too. FM transmitters aren't something I've had much like with.

Cassette adapter? Wow I thought the audio quality from those things were terrible. I think except for Toyota most automakers don't offer cassette players anymore but audio input jacks are now standard fair for most cars. For me though I would prefer Bluetooth so I can keep the clutter down and keep the phone on my belt.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I've used a cassette adaptor with my MP3 player for years. Audio isn't too bad. I can stand it. I'm now going to my Droid for my music now (why carry two things around:icon_question:). Just put on it what I want and change it when I need to (copy and paste work wonderfully).
I've heard not so good things about FM Transmitters (for MP3 players anyway). If you can get a car with a aux or bluetooth, then that is what you want.

If you want it attached to your belt, then yes bluetooth would work.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
I've used a cassette adaptor with my MP3 player for years. Audio isn't too bad. I can stand it. I'm now going to my Droid for my music now (why carry two things around:icon_question:). Just put on it what I want and change it when I need to (copy and paste work wonderfully).
I've heard not so good things about FM Transmitters (for MP3 players anyway). If you can get a car with a aux or bluetooth, then that is what you want.

If you want it attached to your belt, then yes bluetooth would work.

I am going to check some reviews on the FM transmitters since it would be cool to stream my own personal audio to my work van which is too primitive to intergrate an MP3 player in any other way. As for Bluetooth for my own personal vehicle, do you know if I could control the Droid via my cars audio system because it would be pointless to stream the audio wirelessly if I had to take my Droid out to change my selection.