Stock Text Messaging Customization

bznick

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just joined and longtime Android user. Just a question if anyone knows but the stock text messaging interface is difficult to see as it is so dark. I was curious to see if anyone knew how to, or if there is a way, to change the skin or theme etc. I tried using GO SMS, Chomp, etc but they really slow down the phone from what I've experienced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

bZn. :cool-b:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Handcent is my choice, infinite possibilities.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

OP
bznick

bznick

Reaction score
I tried handcent too but it really seemed to slow things down. Any recommendations on the settings used, theme?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I'd prefer the stock app, but with older eyes I've been using handcent for ever. If the stock app would let us change text size I would be all for it.

OP
bznick

bznick

Reaction score
Actually you can change text size but the text size will be changed for almost everything on the device (menus, facebook, email, etc).

Settings>Display>Font Size then choose what size.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Bznick, thanks for over rating my eyes, had to check, couldn't remember how big I had that setting. HUGE it was. But handcent has the capabilities to make it even bigger.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
At one time there used to be a way to change the back ground color from black to white, but for the life of me I can remember how to do it. Maybe it will ring a bell for someone else and they will remember how to do it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Verizon Messages app? It's almost as vanilla as the stock app but allows changing fonts , bubbles and backgrounds.
Nowhere near the bloat if the others and it seems faster on my Rezound. I haven't tried the new sync between devices (sync to/from your tablet using your phone's number) feature yet.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
bznick

bznick

Reaction score
Thanks mountain bikermark! I checked it and saw the 3.7 rating but then read all the reviews. I put it on my Razr Maxx HD and what I was looking for with no lag or bloat. Thanks for the recco.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks mountain bikermark! I checked it and saw the 3.7 rating but then read all the reviews. I put it on my Razr Maxx HD and what I was looking for with no lag or bloat. Thanks for the recco.

Glad to help.
If you've ever heard of Mighty Text or Tablet Talk, the sync function is very similar to those apps.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post