still an ipod user but want to take the plunge

yourhero88

Reaction score
The iPod is a much better music player. Both for syncing ability...

I fail to see how having to open the **** sandwich that is iTunes just to have to go through a clunky intermediary syncing function is better than dragging and dropping music into a folder on an SD card. Also, the Droid chews up and spits out all forms of DRM i've encountered so far, including iTunes.

The music player, however, is inferior to the iPod, but i have had no issues replacing my iPhone (which was my music player) with my Droid. To me, nothing beats having only one gadget in my pocket.

solorca

Reaction score
I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I was so glad to start using something other than my ipod as my music player. Sure, I went from 80 gigs to about 15, but I can trade music in and out so easily with the Droid, it's worth it. Dragging and dropping to me is what a music player should be able to do. Not having to deal with iTunes anymore (and completely deleting it off my computer) was a great feeling.

As a player though, the Droid is lacking at this time. Hopefully someone will develop a better music player in the near future.

mikes

Reaction score
I fail to see
Well, that's your problem. iTunes does much more than dropping music on an SD Card. If you have the time to manually find all your top-rated songs which haven't been played in 6 months, created a playlist for them, then find and copy the songs and playlist to your player, great. I just use an iTunes smart playlist.
the Droid chews up and spits out all forms of DRM i've encountered so far, including iTunes.
Odd. I just moved an iTunes protected (.m4p) file to /sdcard/Music. Music player didn't find it. Astro file manager said "File type not found." When I told Astro to open it as an audio file, Music player said "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file."

Changing the file extension to .m4a made no difference. Changing it to .mp3 let Astro know to send it to Music player, which again said "does not support."

You obviously haven't really encountered DRM, or are just talking after taking a bite of that sandwich you mentioned.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I fail to see
Well, that's your problem. iTunes does much more than dropping music on an SD Card. If you have the time to manually find all your top-rated songs which haven't been played in 6 months, created a playlist for them, then find and copy the songs and playlist to your player, great. I just use an iTunes smart playlist.
the Droid chews up and spits out all forms of DRM i've encountered so far, including iTunes.
Odd. I just moved an iTunes protected (.m4p) file to /sdcard/Music. Music player didn't find it. Astro file manager said "File type not found." When I told Astro to open it as an audio file, Music player said "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file."

Changing the file extension to .m4a made no difference. Changing it to .mp3 let Astro know to send it to Music player, which again said "does not support."

You obviously haven't really encountered DRM, or are just talking after taking a bite of that sandwich you mentioned.
that's because an m4p file is the DRM encrypted version of Apple's proprietary AAC file and is not (technically) MP3 encoded. you need to converpt m4p files.

lmapp

Reaction score
Pretty sure it won't play DRM'd wma files, either. The Droid will play non- or un-DRM'd wma files with no problem.

Last edited:

FireDroid

Reaction score
I have about 10 movies and about 5 gigs of songs. I use Itunes agent which I find it pretty easy to use, pretty much drag and drop.

I do wish the music player on the droid was better though. I am actually using the 2.1 apk music player though and it is a bit better.

Once you figure out the nuances, it is great as my primary player.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When my friend was looking for a phone last year he looked at the iPhone. The dealer told him he could throw away his 60 GB iPod. Right.

This happened to me, which was kind of interesting. I had to spend a day waiting for Federal Jury Duty several years ago. You were not allowed cameras inside the building. That meant you gave up your cell phone if it had a camera. You could be outside with it, but not inside. I had an iPod (and a book), but it would've been pretty rough to expect to use your phone to entertain you while you sat there, waiting.

Last edited: