Standby time main battery culprit?

CuriousRaven

Reaction score
I been up for only an hour with minimal use on my phone I'm at 79%. I checked around online showing international S3s having this issue with standby time how it is 30% more then it should be normally like 3%.
Is there any fix somebody knows of at all? Love my new S3 but this battery life sucks.:icon_eek:

Trapper31

Reaction score
With minimal phone use cell standby should be the highest drain on your battery, so that makes sense. The rate at which you are losing your charge however is not normal. Are you in a weak signal area? If so that puts a huge dent in battery life as your phone is constantly trying to lock on to a tower.

If you have good coverage, check out this thread, specifically the advice provided by sbenson in post #32. With those two apps hopefully you can diagnose what is going on with the battery drain you are experiencing.

[edit for typo]

OP
CuriousRaven

CuriousRaven

Reaction score
I have full 4G signal, read that thread few times over. Only thing I can think I did charge it while powered on, but never has my cell standby on my maxx, bionic, d3, d2, d1, rezound ever been this high? Is it is however my first Samsung phone, so maybe its just because their radios are as bad as people say?

Trapper31

Reaction score
Hmm, right now I've been on the battery for 9 hours and some change and I have 55% charge remaining. I've been using the phone quite a bit this morning so this is actually pretty good, and cell standby is 26% of my usage. Dungeon Village (awesome game by the way) accounts for 27% and the screen is 22%. Everything else is 7% or less.

Did you try the CPU Spy and GSAM Battery applications? Those will tell you if you have an app causing your phone to stay awake, draining battery when it should be sitting idle.

Of course if I'm wrong about the cell standby usage then I'd like to fix mine as well!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The cell standby is definitely reporting higher than it should be. Some say it's misread by the system and that cell standby isn't actually using as much battery as it's reporting. Others claim that it really is using more battery. It seems more likely, based upon what I've read, that it's the former - the system misreading the information. Either way, there's a problem that needs to be addressed. It's been discussed at length on other forums:

XDA-Developers

cell standby poll

Cell Standby insane battery drain?

Android Forums

Cell Standby issue

OP
CuriousRaven

CuriousRaven

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Its a new phone so I'm not expecting it to be perfect every phone has their flaws, I'm just thankful that battery is replaceable. Last thing I wanted was a S3 Maxx coming out few months later. :happy3: