Sprint Takes Board Control of Clearwire After Increasing Ownership to 50.8%

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 18, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just a days after the official announcement that Softbank would be acquiring Sprint Nextel, the Now Network makes an unsurprising strategic move to bolster their spectrum holdings. They bought up a 4.5 percent stake in Clearwire that was formerly owned by Eagle River. While Sprint was already a major shareholder of Clearwire, this effectively gave them a 50.8% share of the company and they moved to control the board. Here's a quote with more info,

Originally, there was a lot of industry speculation that Sprint would not try to take control of Clearwire, because they are now "all-in" on LTE instead of WiMAX; however, the other important factor that many analysts missed was that Clearwire still holds additional spectrum, and if Sprint can control that, then it makes them even more attractive to Softbank, and will help solidify the deal.

Source: Bloomberg
  2. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

I'd love to see Sprint and Verizon get into a price war. Sprint trying to steal customers and Verizon trying to keep them. Maybe we will get our data prices down to where Europe users are.
  3. dfcfu342

dfcfu342 New Member

That would be nice! I was hoping the same for AT&T but they just adopted the same price structure to keep up with Verizon.
  4. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

if srint can roll their LTE out faster and get any kind of comparable coverage to vzw with the new softbank stuff going on, imagine.... when they can actually say... we have coverage like verizon WITH unlimited data AND lower prices...

vzw will have to do something
  5. HNettles

HNettles Member

1) coverage comparable to VZW
    2) unlimited data
    3) lower prices

Pick any two of the above, I don't think you will ever see all 3. I myself would be happy with 1 & 3.
  6. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

Yea, coverage is their Achilles heel right now. Sprint sucks unless you live in a big city and never leave it. Well, at least in Michigan. Not sure about other states.