Sprint Plans to Deploy Advanced-LTE and VoLTE in 2013

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sprint_logo_full.jpg

This is some interesting technology news whether you are on Sprint or not. Sprint's vice president of network development and engineering, Iyad Tarazi, recently shared during the 4G World conference, that Sprint plans to begin deployment of their LTE-Advanced network as early as the first half of 2013.

The current iteration of LTE Advanced can support theoretical speeds up to 100 Mbps or more. This is roughly 10 to 20 times Verizon’s 4G LTE real-world speeds of 5-15Mbps. Sprint indicated that their initial deployment of LTE-Advanced will only be capable of 12-15 Mbps before further advancements are made, but as time progresses they will be able to ratchet up to the higher speeds. Their plan is to wind down their older iDEN network, and deploy the LTE Advanced on the freed up 800 Mhz spectrum.

Furthermore, Tarazi indicated that Sprint will continue to support their existing 3G CDMA/EV-DO network, so they use 3G for voice and 4G for data. However, Sprint also intends to have over 250 million people covered with LTE by the end of 2013, which would give the company a bigger LTE footprint than its existing CDMA network. They are planning on launching a new Voice over LTE (VoLTE) at the beginning of 2013, which will allow them to switch to a one radio design, driving costs down for themselves and OEMs that build devices for Sprint.

Because of contractual obligations with Clearwire, Sprint will also still support WiMAX for a few years. Sprint expects to begin launching Advanced LTE devices, probably tablets at first, sometime toward the end of 2012.

Source: SprintDroids via GottaBeMobile

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm sorry, but what is the point of 100Mbps for mobile devices. Sure, there are those that have USB dongles for laptops and what not, but ya...whats the point. Especially if they are getting rid of unlimited data to non phone devices.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW is supposed to be launching VoLTE near the end of 2012.

loki993

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but what is the point of 100Mbps for mobile devices. Sure, there are those that have USB dongles for laptops and what not, but ya...whats the point. Especially if they are getting rid of unlimited data to non phone devices.

Kiss your ISP goodbye. 100 megs down anywhere you go. All you need is an aircard.

Captmilk

Reaction score
Sprint would still have to ship me a semi full of 100$'s for me to go to their network.

smokiedabong

Reaction score

I don't get people like you , saying we don't need 100 Mb/s on our phones , we don't need dual-core on a phone , 2 GB RAM etc. still everytime something better shows up there is going to be use for it . If everybody would think the same we would still live in caves or at least still use dial-up , cause hey , why do I need higher speeds ? How about playing Onlive HD games on your device , using 3D Google maps , streaming blue-ray quality Netflix movies to your TV etc.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't get people like you , saying we don't need 100 Mb/s on our phones , we don't need dual-core on a phone , 2 GB RAM etc. still everytime something better shows up there is going to be use for it . If everybody would think the same we would still live in caves or at least still use dial-up , cause hey , why do I need higher speeds ? How about playing Onlive HD games on your device , using 3D Google maps , streaming blue-ray quality Netflix movies to your TV etc.

I dont' have a problem with the device getting better, the device itself can do much more with better hardware, but come on. I have a 20Mb connection in my house and that is more than sufficient for 99.9% of people. I can understand people using USB connections to laptops on those networks, but a mobile device. Shoot, the memory/SD cards can't even write that fast. It feels more along the lines of the carriers measuring their :censored:. Plus, advertising those speeds and actually getting them to each device are two very different things.

mcjonesy

Reaction score
I dont' have a problem with the device getting better, the device itself can do much more with better hardware, but come on. I have a 20Mb connection in my house and that is more than sufficient for 99.9% of people. I can understand people using USB connections to laptops on those networks, but a mobile device. Shoot, the memory/SD cards can't even write that fast yet. It feels more along the lines of the carriers measuring their :censored:. Plus, advertising those speeds and actually getting them to each device are two very different things.

Fixed it for ya.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Would be nice, though, to pay for just one unlimited internet connection and then take it with you wherever you go.

Saw a commercial today with Ford advertising 3G connections or something for SYNC in it's new Focus. Do we really need an internet connection in the car? I can actually think of some uses for that, but it would be tough to justify the cost of a monthly data plan.

M

MiDrOIdDOES

I read somewhere online that verizon's lte network is also capable of 100 Mb/s as well. just like sprint, verizon lte is not capable of those speeds right now but will be...
can't remember exactly where I found the article but this is worth noting

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Tasty.

LTE Advance with the $30/month unlimited mobile hotspot feature = coolness.

akhi216

Reaction score
I read somewhere online that verizon's lte network is also capable of 100 Mb/s as well. just like sprint, verizon lte is not capable of those speeds right now but will be...

I read the same thing and Verizon's future move to LTE-Advanced. Their LTE-Advanced network is supposed to be able to exceed 100 Mb (when it's released of course).

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

M

MiDrOIdDOES

I read the same thing and Verizon's future move to LTE-Advanced. Their LTE-Advanced network is supposed to be able to exceed 100 Mb (when it's released of course).

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

from what I understood based on the article was that they didn't really have to release a "new network" it was gonna be based off the same lte. Older lte phones (thunderbolt, bionic, prime etc.) would still be able to use the new lte with 100 mb/s.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

Over in Canada (and I believe Sweden) they were able to achieve 100mbps on the LTE tech that vzw uses.