Sprint Plans to Deploy Advanced-LTE and VoLTE in 2013

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

This is some interesting technology news whether you are on Sprint or not. Sprint's vice president of network development and engineering, Iyad Tarazi, recently shared during the 4G World conference, that Sprint plans to begin deployment of their LTE-Advanced network as early as the first half of 2013.

The current iteration of LTE Advanced can support theoretical speeds up to 100 Mbps or more. This is roughly 10 to 20 times Verizon’s 4G LTE real-world speeds of 5-15Mbps. Sprint indicated that their initial deployment of LTE-Advanced will only be capable of 12-15 Mbps before further advancements are made, but as time progresses they will be able to ratchet up to the higher speeds. Their plan is to wind down their older iDEN network, and deploy the LTE Advanced on the freed up 800 Mhz spectrum.

Furthermore, Tarazi indicated that Sprint will continue to support their existing 3G CDMA/EV-DO network, so they use 3G for voice and 4G for data. However, Sprint also intends to have over 250 million people covered with LTE by the end of 2013, which would give the company a bigger LTE footprint than its existing CDMA network. They are planning on launching a new Voice over LTE (VoLTE) at the beginning of 2013, which will allow them to switch to a one radio design, driving costs down for themselves and OEMs that build devices for Sprint.

Because of contractual obligations with Clearwire, Sprint will also still support WiMAX for a few years. Sprint expects to begin launching Advanced LTE devices, probably tablets at first, sometime toward the end of 2012.

Source: SprintDroids via GottaBeMobile
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but what is the point of 100Mbps for mobile devices. Sure, there are those that have USB dongles for laptops and what not, but ya...whats the point. Especially if they are getting rid of unlimited data to non phone devices.
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

VZW is supposed to be launching VoLTE near the end of 2012.
  4. loki993

loki993 New Member

Kiss your ISP goodbye. 100 megs down anywhere you go. All you need is an aircard.
  5. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

Can sprint deploy some trained costumer service reps instead?
  6. Captmilk

Captmilk New Member

Sprint would still have to ship me a semi full of 100$'s for me to go to their network.
  7. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

I don't get people like you , saying we don't need 100 Mb/s on our phones , we don't need dual-core on a phone , 2 GB RAM etc. still everytime something better shows up there is going to be use for it . If everybody would think the same we would still live in caves or at least still use dial-up , cause hey , why do I need higher speeds ? How about playing Onlive HD games on your device , using 3D Google maps , streaming blue-ray quality Netflix movies to your TV etc.
  8. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I dont' have a problem with the device getting better, the device itself can do much more with better hardware, but come on. I have a 20Mb connection in my house and that is more than sufficient for 99.9% of people. I can understand people using USB connections to laptops on those networks, but a mobile device. Shoot, the memory/SD cards can't even write that fast. It feels more along the lines of the carriers measuring their :censored:. Plus, advertising those speeds and actually getting them to each device are two very different things.
  9. mcjonesy

mcjonesy New Member

Fixed it for ya.
  10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Would be nice, though, to pay for just one unlimited internet connection and then take it with you wherever you go.

Saw a commercial today with Ford advertising 3G connections or something for SYNC in it's new Focus. Do we really need an internet connection in the car? I can actually think of some uses for that, but it would be tough to justify the cost of a monthly data plan.
  11. MiDrOIdDOES

MiDrOIdDOES New Member

I read somewhere online that verizon's lte network is also capable of 100 Mb/s as well. just like sprint, verizon lte is not capable of those speeds right now but will be...
    can't remember exactly where I found the article but this is worth noting

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  12. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Tasty.

LTE Advance with the $30/month unlimited mobile hotspot feature = coolness.
  13. akhi216

akhi216 Member

I read the same thing and Verizon's future move to LTE-Advanced. Their LTE-Advanced network is supposed to be able to exceed 100 Mb (when it's released of course).

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  14. MiDrOIdDOES

MiDrOIdDOES New Member

from what I understood based on the article was that they didn't really have to release a "new network" it was gonna be based off the same lte. Older lte phones (thunderbolt, bionic, prime etc.) would still be able to use the new lte with 100 mb/s.

15. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Over in Canada (and I believe Sweden) they were able to achieve 100mbps on the LTE tech that vzw uses.
  16. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

after my experiences w sprint I'd never go back to that company not even for 100gbps

17. brad92

brad92 New Member

I have had the opposite experience with Sprint. Verizon has been the one that has been the greediest and disappointing CS wise.
  18. bp328i

bp328i Theme Developer Theme Developer

I have to agree, I have had some pretty bad customer service with Big Red. I like the OP because it means more choices for networks. I have a few friends in my area that already have Sprint and their service is just fine. Of course it's not as fast as LTE but it sounds like it will be soon.
  19. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

I have to disagree with the both of you above. In my personal experience, Big Red is by far the best. Had ATT for 2+ years and the continued to screw up my bill almost every single month. More then half the time I called they didnt understand the charge either and just had to give me credit for it on my next bill. Not to mention half the time I called I dropped the call, which meant navigating through the menu prompts, and possibly wait time, to speak to a rep again and resolve the matter. Not to mention getting directed to wrong departments at times. VZW, I called twice, the first time they quickly realized there was a glitch and the system was billing us twice, solved in under 5 mins. Second time was for a replacement for my original D2G, and despite being in the RMA department the guy was able to resolve my billing question in less then 5 minuets again.

I wouldn't got that far...atleast not for people who use a lot of bandwidth considering the new caps they are putting in place.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  20. chuckz28

chuckz28 New Member

I'm no expert but Wikipedia says LTE theoretical peak is over 100mbps and LTE Advanced is 1Gbps.
    The LTE specification provides downlink peak rates of at least 100*Mbit/s. they call LTE 3.9G
    4G—also called IMT Advanced as defined by the International Telecommunication Union—such as peak data rates up to 1*Gbit/s. Big difference.
Search tags for this page
aprint lte evansville in
date for sprint 4g evansville in.
sprint 4g in evansville
sprint 4g lte evansville
sprint conference volte
sprint lte evansville
sprint lte evansville in
sprint lte evansville in.

sprint volte

sprint volte news
sprint volte plans