Sprint Will Convert Network to LTE by 2013 with 'Aggressive Rollout'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sprint-lte-2013.jpg

I know we typically like to stick to Verizon news here on DF, but Sprint just had a pretty major announcement today. Apparently, they are "hitting the ground running" with their planned deployment of LTE. Basically, Sprint is going to "simplify its network" by converting its 1900MHz holdings and LightSquared's 1600MHZ spectrum over to LTE, once they get FCC approval.

They plan to "aggressively rollout" this new LTE service and will have it mostly completed by 2013. WiMAX subscribers need not worry, as Sprint still plans to support that network for sometime, and in fact will still sell phones with the service next year. However, there will be great incentive for folks to eventually switch to phones that support the new LTE network as the speeds should be significantly better.

Sprint also plans to launch a “WiFi offloading technology” later this year. No details are available about this new system. Analysts predict that it will be a way to shift data use away from the mobile network onto WiFi, to help reduce network saturation after the launch of Sprint's version of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Here's a quote from Engadget with a few more details,
Beginning tomorrow, Sprint's consolidating its 4G LTE (including LightSquared), 3G and Direct Connect networks into one single architecture. All the major technical milestones, such as test calls and field integration, have cleared their hurdles and work on over 22,000 cell sites are currently in process. Samsung, Alcatel Lucent and Ericsson have partnered with Sprint to install multimode 3G and 4G base stations to handle the network's future traffic, essential for deploying the multitude of frequencies required by hosted devices. Prospective iPhone 4S users on the network will be able to take advantage of better signal strength and improved voice service as Sprint intends to also offload the latter onto 800MHz.
It really seems like Sprint is on a roll lately. They have won several awards for improved customer service and sit equal with Verizon in first place for customer service satisfaction with several consumer ratings companies. They have the cheapest plans, and the only truly unlimited data plan left. They have free roaming, and free mobile-to-mobile calls to any carrier. Now, they are rolling out their own LTE network. What do you guys think of the "Now Network" now? We were just curious if this new development would make anyone consider switching?

Source: SprintDroids via Engadget

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like what Sprint is doing here. I could definitely see their subscribers growing in the future with the unlimited plan and trying to get out 4G LTE quickly. The only thing that I'm confused about is having two different spectrums for LTE. Does that mean only certain phones will work at a certain frequency to offset the loads on the towers or will they be able to use both?

UNC

Reaction score
Sprint's problem is and will remain to be their lack of B&M stores. In my hometown for example, the only places to buy Sprint are BB, The Shack and a bunch of shady 3rd party sellers with kiosks in the mall. When I left Sprint there was no store for me to cancel service in, I had to call them up and wait for customer service, then I had to talk to retention department... I plainly said "If you don't have the Moto Droid there's nothing you can say" and she still talked my head off for 5 minutes, in which all I said was "no, no, no, no, no, no".

Also, their lack of stores becomes a real hassle when you need a non-insurance replacement. I had a Palm that died in 3 days, I had to ship it to them and wait for another to come in the mail a week later.... Since I don't have a house phone this left me phoneless.

Even T-Mo has B&M stores here!!!!

azules9780

Reaction score
I like Sprint and T-Mobile but both of their coverage areas where I live could definitely be better. And I think Sprint is doing what is necessary to stay competitive plus setting themselves up for a future merger, T-Mobile perhaps?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
And I think Sprint is doing what is necessary to stay competitive plus setting themselves up for a future merger, T-Mobile perhaps?
That's assuming the merger with AT&T doesn't go through but with such a difference in technology, I can't see Sprint trying to acquire T-Mobile.

UNC

Reaction score
That's assuming the merger with AT&T doesn't go through but with such a difference in technology, I can't see Sprint trying to acquire T-Mobile.

I agree, if anything I think Sprint will align a little closer to VZW, Sprint has the spectrum VZW needs, VZW has the LTE build-out that Sprint needs. However, I do not see a merger as being likely.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, if anything I think Sprint will align a little closer to VZW, Sprint has the spectrum VZW needs, VZW has the LTE build-out that Sprint needs. However, I do not see a merger as being likely.
And if the AT&T - T-Mobile merger doesn't go through, there is no way Verizon and Sprint would become one.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sprint service blows where I live though. I'd never get them unless they drop a tower in my area. We had sprint phones for my work and they never worked. It was dismal.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe I should test there network where I ljve. If its good, then yeah I'll jump ship in a minute to save some dough.