space bar force closes text messages

scienceteacher

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 global and since yesterday my text messages close when I hit the space bar. This happens on the slideout and the touchscreen keyboard. It happens on the messaging service that came with the phone and handscent i downloaded. If i don't use spaces, I can send a text. And the voice recognition works to send texts. Any help would be appreciated.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Settings > Applications > Quick Launch is where you make shortcuts for key strokes. I know there is no "space" setting but check it anyway to see if there is something set in there you do not want. Sometimes you set one and it causes other things to happen.

BStephens129

Reaction score
Same Issue!

I am experiencing the same issue with the same phone, it force closes ever time I hit the space bar in the stock text message app and usuing the go sms pro app. I had a replacement phone shipped and it has done the same thing. I figured out that if you do a factory data reset it fixes the problem but only temporarily. I really need to find an answer cause I am tired of doing the reset and wiping my phone ever week. Help please!

rayr0d

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue with the same phone, it force closes ever time I hit the space bar in the stock text message app and usuing the go sms pro app. I had a replacement phone shipped and it has done the same thing. I figured out that if you do a factory data reset it fixes the problem but only temporarily. I really need to find an answer cause I am tired of doing the reset and wiping my phone ever week. Help please!

Not normal - chrstdvd's suggestion would be the most direct cause - last update I had seemed to change my quick buttons and had similar situation such as yourself.

If it still occurs - I suggest either browsing droidforums.net for anyone that had similar issue or go to your local VZW retailer for hands on help.

Good Luck!

chrstdvd

Reaction score
OP
S

scienceteacher

Reaction score
thanks

cleared data and all appears to be working fine. nice job

jayflea717

Reaction score
Found a possible solution:
Go to Applications/Manage Applications/ALL
Find "Multi-Touch Keyboard"
Force Stop
Clear Cache.

not sure why but Built In Keyboard and Touch Screen Keyboard started working!

Reference this post by yana214 in Verizon forum
Droid2 Gingerbread Update/Texting Freezes - Verizon Wireless Community

I too experienced this issue on my Droid 2 Global where the spacebar was force closing texts. The procedure above fixed this problem, thanks so much for discovering!

susanc0425

Reaction score
Thank you!

Force Stop
Clear Cache.

This worked for me as well! I wonder why it just started happening to all of us at the same time? Though now I don't have an excuse to take my husband's upgrade and get a Bionic.

birdisdaword

Reaction score
Space Bar Force Close

The whole: settings > applications > manage apps > all > multi-touch keyboard > force stop > clear data, thing totally worked for me too! I've been texting very slowly for the past couple weeks and calling people instead. Thank you for the help! Completely worked and now life will be a little bit easier again.

Sagami

Reaction score
Force Stop
Clear Cache.

Reference this post by yana214 in Verizon forum
http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-DROID-2-by-Motorola/Droid2-Gingerbread-Update-Texting-Freezes/td-p/652525
I have the same problem that started several days ago. I bought my phone in August. I have tried the steps that you have laid out but when I enter "force stop" it gives me a warning. I keep entering "force stop" and the warning keeps appearing. the "Clear Cache" button is greyed out

mariannabanana226

Reaction score

CHSeraph80

Reaction score
I have the same problem that started several days ago. I bought my phone in August. I have tried the steps that you have laid out but when I enter "force stop" it gives me a warning. I keep entering "force stop" and the warning keeps appearing. the "Clear Cache" button is greyed out

Try just pressing clear data instead. I got a warning screen for clear data stating that it will clear out all sorts of stuff, but after reading several forums of this being an issue on several DROID phones, from the 2 to the X, the solution from everyone was the same and seemed to work. I tried it and then sent myself several texts in a row: no issues. I updated my FB status: no issue. We'll see how long it works for. I will update if it goes haywire again.

I was to the point where I was ready to drop a bunch of money on a new phone before my upgrade was eligible. When I am eligible, I will go back to LG. I will not own a Motorola again.