South Korean Government Rules Customers Can Remove Bloatware from Their Androids

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-bloatware.jpg

In a move that will likely have every other country on the planet green with envy, the South Korean Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MISP) recently created new guidelines which basically allow smartphone consumers to remove any pre-installed apps on their devices. This is basically a stiff finger in the eye to all the bloatware which is installed by carriers and smartphone manufacturers from the factory.

The Korean Ministry made it clear they believe preinstalled apps are simply an "inconvenience" to users and may cause "unfair competition" between operators and carriers. Carriers won't be forced to include core services in this ruling. Apps related to Wi-Fi, user settings, the app store and NFC will not be removable. Despite this, there are about 60 apps pre-installed by the country's three biggest carriers which will be available for the "chopping block" should a user desire to dispatch them.

In fact, there are some Google services which might end up falling into this category as well. The Korean regulatory agency is in talks with Google at the moment, but services like Gmail and Hangouts could become removable as well. The carriers and OEMs have until April before these rules go into effect.

Source: Engadget

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's one thing if your phone comes pre-installed with apps that you can remove. Its a completely different story when you have apps that take up space on your phone in which you cannot remove that serve absolutely no purpose other then be bloat. I could definitely see this coming to america for the phone carriers to install the apps as they do now, but make it to where we can remove them. Core apps are one thing, but many apps that come on the phones now adays are not core by any means.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
The more savvy of our kind will just install a debloated ROM of our phones that someone bakes up.

But even still, I think it's a complete sham to force certain apps down peoples' throats. You don't get that when buying a new Windows computer. It comes with crapware installed, but you're free to remove it.

Personally, I hate that Verizon makes the NFL app a must have. I don't like football, nor will I ever. But you're going to keep it on there just in case I ever decide I really need to watch one game on the go? It's total malarkey.

Sent from CAMACHO, my Verizon G2 (VS980) running PAC ROM 4.3.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The more savvy of our kind will just install a debloated ROM of our phones that someone bakes up.

But even still, I think it's a complete sham to force certain apps down peoples' throats. You don't get that when buying a new Windows computer. It comes with crapware installed, but you're free to remove it.

Personally, I hate that Verizon makes the NFL app a must have. I don't like football, nor will I ever. But you're going to keep it on there just in case I ever decide I really need to watch one game on the go? It's total malarkey.

You do know that the people who ROM are like 1% of android users, you did know that right.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If possible I'd remove just as many Google apps as Verizon apps but the most embedded apps I'd remove are Samsung bloatware

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
You do know that the people who ROM are like 1% of android users, you did know that right.

Duh, why do you think I said "the more savvy of us"?

donzz

Reaction score
Wow, how awesome would that be? The only Apps on my phone are the ones I want. (Never happen here, 'merica)