Sound quality?

Sara77

Reaction score
Anyone know if the poor sound quality in the external speaker is a software issue or just the quality of the speaker? Kind of missing that surround sound on my Thunderbolt. I listen to music a lot on my phone and this may be a deal breaker for me... Thanks for any input. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
S

Sara77

Reaction score
Definitely tried that. :) I went through music to the equalizer and it just doesn't sound good. Volume wise I can hear a Netflix video but have to hold the phone close to hear speaking. I have heard that others have had the same issue? Aside from that, I LOVE this phone. Just don't understand the quality of the speaker.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Definitely tried that. :) I went through music to the equalizer and it just doesn't sound good. Volume wise I can hear a Netflix video but have to hold the phone close to hear speaking. I have heard that others have had the same issue? Aside from that, I LOVE this phone. Just don't understand the quality of the speaker.

Speaker isn't too great, but it sounds like any other phone when at the proper volume, except the rezound, imo. It's just the lower volume which is a software bug that needs to be fixed.

cleevis

Reaction score
I don't have a car radio. I bought a my gf got me a speaker from Verizon for my birthday last year. Just use the amazing headphones that came with your phone, or spend $30 for one of those, or the many others available. You won't be disappointed. I'm not. Btw, it's an old car. 1984 many of you weren't born yet, it's a low mile classic. I'd be streaming Pandora in a new car. Lol. So the 8-track player is useless. Anyone have the beegees on 8-track for sale?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The phone has a great equalizer for stereos and headphones as cleevis mentioned. However as OP said the speaker on the phone itself is indeed pretty weak. A lot of people recommend volume+ and messing with the settings in there but if that doesn't do it for you well then I don't think much will since it would be a hardware issue. If that really is a deal breaker you can definitely go back to your TB or even upgrade to the Rezound which has a great speaker

luckybadback

Reaction score
Try Volume+, this is one of the best utilities I have come accross. If you like it pay the developer as he is very responsive and good about regular upgrades... Good Luck

Reaction score
whats the highest setting you could put so that you dont blow the speaker..i had Volume+ set at 8 and it still seems pretty low.

luckybadback

Reaction score
Give these a try

whats the highest setting you could put so that you dont blow the speaker..i had Volume+ set at 8 and it still seems pretty low.

I have spent a good amount of time trying various settings. I will try and keep this as short as possible but I still want to share what I have found. I should let you know I am using version 1.8.1.0. I have had the volume setting as high as 15 but experienced distortion of the sound quality. The following settings work the best for me, Iike my sound to be be loud and full but not to the point that I want to distort the quality for volume. Also if you listen at the higher settings with headphones I found my ears would hurt for hours afterwards. Anyway these settings seem the best for Speaker Settings.

Volume - +14
Bass - +8
EQ - Rock setting is the best for me and Good is second best setting.

Depending on the type of music and how the sound was produced you may need to adjust down both volume and bass. I generally stay set between +12 and +14 for volume, and +6 to +8 for Bass. I hope this helps, give it a shot and try some combinations. Personally messing with the Equalizer individual levels varies so much from one song to the next so I do not use that portion....Best of Luck

Reaction score
I have spent a good amount of time trying various settings. I will try and keep this as short as possible but I still want to share what I have found. I should let you know I am using version 1.8.1.0. I have had the volume setting as high as 15 but experienced distortion of the sound quality. The following settings work the best for me, Iike my sound to be be loud and full but not to the point that I want to distort the quality for volume. Also if you listen at the higher settings with headphones I found my ears would hurt for hours afterwards. Anyway these settings seem the best for Speaker Settings.

Volume - +14
Bass - +8
EQ - Rock setting is the best for me and Good is second best setting.

Depending on the type of music and how the sound was produced you may need to adjust down both volume and bass. I generally stay set between +12 and +14 for volume, and +6 to +8 for Bass. I hope this helps, give it a shot and try some combinations. Personally messing with the Equalizer individual levels varies so much from one song to the next so I do not use that portion....Best of Luck

thanks for the long post..LoL.