Sony's Crazy Cool & Crazy Expensive New Walkman ZX2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
walkman-zx2-640x426.jpeg

Here's a head-scratcher from the Sony at CES 2015. They announced a new Walkman portable audio player device, but it's so high-tech and so high priced that it's out of reach for any but the richest of audiophiles. It's called the ZX2 and it will hit retail store shelves at a price of $1119.99. That's not a typo with an extra one or nine in that number... the price will be "one-thousand, one-hundred nineteen dollars and ninety-nine cents" MSRP.

It comes with a host of ultra-high-end features that only the most die-hard audiophile would fancy, like the following,

The NW- ZX2 supports digital music files up to 192 kHz/24 bit and compatible file formats are MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, WAV and ALAC including DSD[1]. It also comes with 128GB of built-in memory, as well as micro SD card slot, Wi-Fi and a large capacity Lithium-ion battery that provides up to 60-hours[2] of music playback per charge.

There's a bit more in the description of the device, and we have included the full press release in the thread below. Regardless of the high-end specs, we can't help but wonder what Sony is thinking with the price of this device. Only those who are truly in the 1% wealth category would even think about spending this much on a Walkman. What are your thoughts?

Source: Sony s New Portable Audio Products Provide Freedom to Deliver New Music Sound Experience Sony

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that full press release for the Sony Walkman ZX2 (and a couple of other devices):

"LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2015 (CES, Booth #14200) – Today, Sony Electronics introduced new portable audio products designed to reproduce the ultimate audio sound quality without restictions or set-up hassles. Consumers can utilize the new High Resolution NW-ZX2 Walkman® player and MDR-1ABT Headphones or the PHA-1A headphone DAC/amplifier to enhance their mobile or computer listening experience. Further advancing the reach of high quality sound, Sony also announced a Hi-Res car audio head unit.

Sony has made it possible to enjoy music at a higher sound quality by applying unique audio technologies that bring listeners closer to the spirit and intent of the artist’s original performance. These new products further the desire to equip consumers with the best portable products possible to enjoy a fully immersive, Hi-Res audio experience from practically any location. Thanks to Sony’s new LDAC™ technology, users can enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth®. With 3x the data transmitted, LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music. These technologies, combined with one-touch listening to facilitate easy connectivity (pairing) via wireless Bluetooth technology, results in unprecedented flexibility to access high quality sound on-the-go.

“We have been focused on developing products that will reproduce the ultimate sound quality from any location,” said Mike Woulfe, Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Sony Electronics’ Sound Division. “Sony’s new portable audio line-up represents a new music experience for consumers where environmental restrictions no longer exist and they can freely enjoy the best music, regardless of where they are.”

Walkman® NW-ZX2

Experience High-Resolution audio like never before with the Walkman NW-ZX2 which can reproduce master quality recordings just as the artists originally intended. The S-Master™ HX digital amplifier, uniquely developed for Hi-Res audio playback, reduces distortion and noise while reproducing wide frequency response for a clearer acoustic experience. It is also equipped with DSEE HX™ technology, allowing streaming sources which are not Hi-Res quality to be upscaled to provide higher quality sound.

The NW- ZX2 supports digital music files up to 192 kHz/24 bit and compatible file formats are MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, WAV and ALAC including DSD[1]. It also comes with 128GB of built-in memory, as well as micro SD card slot, Wi-Fi and a large capacity Lithium-ion battery that provides up to 60-hours[2] of music playback per charge.

Sporting a frame with rounded sides carved out of aluminum alloy, the Walkman NW-ZX2 features a striking design and highly rigid case. Adoption of the gold-plated copperplate in the structure has resulted in an extremely stable ground due to its low electric resistivity. The powerful bass and the improved sense of stereo have been realized due to a number of audio components , such as the enhancement of power supply by using of electric double layer capacitors , OS-CON and large capacity Li-ion battery. The other refinements that also contribute to the high-quality sound are thick-film copper-layer PCBs, OFC cables and high-purity lead-free solder. These enable the NW-ZX2 to achieve a higher sound resolution by reducing the impedance.

The Walkman NW-ZX2 will be available in spring 2015.

MDR-1ABT Wireless Stereo Headset

Following on the success of the MDR-1A headphones, the new MDR-1ABT headphones are the ideal way to showcase high quality sound on-the-go with Bluetooth connectivity. In addition to delivering outstanding sound quality, they offer remarkable comfort with ergonomic ear pads and a wraparound design for improved fit that also prevents sound leakage.

The MDR-1ABT headphones feature a lightweight and responsive aluminum coated Liquid Crystal Polymer Film diaphragms to provide the rigidity necessary for balanced sound reproduction, while minimizing coloration across the audio spectrum. The headphones offer hands-free talk with echo cancellation and noise suppression that enables clear sound quality for hands-free calls on compatible smartphones. Additionally, they feature touch sensor controls with NFC to allow users to control music from the side of the headphones easily without having to connect with wires or use set-up codes.

The MDR-1ABT Bluetooth Headphones will be available in spring 2015.

PHA-1A Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier

Enhance the quality of everything you listen to with the compact PHA-1A Portable DAC/Headphone Amp. Easily connect to your compatible digital music device, PC, or smartphones via USB input to enjoy Hi-Res audio playback on the go.

The ultimate companion for Walkman NWZ-A17, the easy to use, lightweight PHA-1A elevates the listening experience allowing you to bring the highest quality sound with you wherever you go.

The PHA-1A Portable Headphone Amp / DAC will be available in spring 2015.

Car Audio Head Unit

Also announced, the new mobile product line-up features the first car audio head unit that is compatible with high-resolution audio formats including DSD native playback. The single DIN head unit will include a DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) to reproduce high-resolution audio even with traditional lower resolution sources, such as MP3’s.

The High-resolution car audio head unit will be available in summer 2015.

[1] Linear PCM conversion playback

[2] MP3 at 128kbps

For more information please visit www.sony.com/news ."

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Kind of like a home stereo in your pocket! The Bluetooth support really makes this tempting. If it had HDMI passthrough (maybe via an externally connected convertor) then I could see this replacing a home receiver.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
It is what it is. A device for audiophiles using the Walkman name. You pay for quality I guess. I am tempted to check this out and luckily I have a Sony store near me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Fighting the urge to rant on another post about this device.

It's not for me and it wasn't meant for me so I don't have to worry about the price and I should be thankful for the devices that I have.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I just don't see anyone outside of the music industry using something like this for anything other than bragging rights. Regardless of cost or quality, something like this could never replace a decent home set up.

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Where is this pricing info coming from? Sony has said more then once "no word on pricing yet..."

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
My phone plays all those formats, has more storage and built in Walkman app with all the equalizers and sound options of this device but costs 1/6. This.is.stupid!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone plays all those formats, has more storage and built in Walkman app with all the equalizers and sound options of this device but costs 1/6. This.is.stupid!
Since you are not an Audiophile, you would not know what you are missing by high end components. I have a pair of custom IEM's JH16-PRO's JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor Custom In-Ear Monitors by JH Audio , which I use with a seperate DAC AlgoRhythm Solo -R - Cypher Labs , and an iBASSO portable Amp Ibasso D6 Fer-de-Lance , which I have connected my iPod Touch to. Yes I am a audiophile, and this is only my portable setup, saying that, I am not interested in this Sony product.
b6012a39ff6e7fcda39b18309c93ae90.jpg

d171077c6ed11f1ef9e7e6e84df5c09b.jpg

c16482f180933b83236ae9f01ceb35da.jpg

df4bff1a3480bd926a55d23891ebf919.jpg

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Um.. Is it bad that I have custom mold in ear monitors from westone that cost this much??

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Um.. Is it bad that I have custom mold in ear monitors from westone that cost this much??

Westone The In-Ear Experts
if you are using it for business then im sure you were able to write it off as a business expense. Of course that meant you had to pay for it out of pocket first.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. I use them when we play live..
And anytime I listen to music..and for mixing.. I like a closer to the ear sound.. Especially when it has such clarity and separation.. Its hard to describe. To some people, beats audio headphones are awesome.. To me.. They're missing alot.. But for the price vs the price of professional stuff.. Well.. You don't get a high tech piece of equipment for a few hundred dollars.. I'll just say that
Lol.. And Just like @cybertec69 I too have a headphone amplifier that I run my music through..

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I like the look of jh's roxannes.. But i wouldn't want to wait that long for em.. Lol

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. I use them when we play live..
And anytime I listen to music..and for mixing.. I like a closer to the ear sound.. Especially when it has such clarity and separation.. Its hard to describe. To some people, beats audio headphones are awesome.. To me.. They're missing alot.. But for the price vs the price of professional stuff.. Well.. You don't get a high tech piece of equipment for a few hundred dollars.. I'll just say that
Lol.. And Just like @cybertec69 I too have a headphone amplifier that I run my music through..
What do you guys play if I may ask.