So, should I upgrade?

Nibbz

Reaction score
What are the main major noticeable upgrades from the original MOTO Droid to the new Droid X? I mean I prefer to have a physical keyboard, but I figure I can switch back if I want to. Will the original Droid still be a good reliable phone for the next two years? Or is it now being replaced by the Droid x?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

coondogg97

Reaction score
It seems like most people are waiting for the highly anticipated Droid Pro and its rumored 2ghz processor.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you can wait until July 15th I'd do that. I've had my moto-droid since the start of November and I've been very happy with it. The nexus came and went, looks like the incredible is doing the same even though they still have a bunch back-ordered. No doubt us droid owners really lucked out with an awesome phone. It looks like moto won't be disappointing anyone with the Droid X.

However, due to the droid being rooted it has continued to have the latest and greatest software available for those who want that on their phones. Until a phone is rooted...it ain't rooted.

If I was able to make a purchase now, it probably would be the droid-x. I do fully expect my droid to be of great service to me until next year though.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea the Droid is still a good phone. It can last for 2 years, maybe more. If u prepared for a bigger phone, different type of phone, upgrade.

The main advantage over the Droid no one really talks about is the X might have better reception and call quality. We won't really know until it goes on sale tho.....All I know is if it does, that will be amazing.

But I dont think the X isn't replacing the Droid. The Droid 2 might tho.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
It all depends on what you want and what your reasons for thinking about upgrading are. Mine are the bigger screen, 720p video recording and no keyboard. I think a 1GHz processor will be plenty fast enough for me. Don't really need a 2GHz for anything that I do. Maybe a year or so down the line when there are more demanding apps I might think differently. Also could care less about a front facing camera. And where I live I will prolly be one of the last to get 4G coverage. So the Droid X is the perfect phone for me and will prolly be for a few years.

korp

Reaction score
If you can wait until July 15th I'd do that. I've had my moto-droid since the start of November and I've been very happy with it. The nexus came and went, looks like the incredible is doing the same even though they still have a bunch back-ordered. No doubt us droid owners really lucked out with an awesome phone. It looks like moto won't be disappointing anyone with the Droid X.

However, due to the droid being rooted it has continued to have the latest and greatest software available for those who want that on their phones. Until a phone is rooted...it ain't rooted.

If I was able to make a purchase now, it probably would be the droid-x. I do fully expect my droid to be of great service to me until next year though.
Yup ... the Moto Droid is about 8 months old right now which is somewhat old in terms of keeping it for 2 years but you can run the phone at 1.2ghz and runs better when that is done and on Froyo than any phone on the Android Platform. WHEN the Droid X gets rooted and is able to overclock, it should blow the Moto Droid out of the water since it's 8 months newer and has a better processor ... but no physical keyboard.