Smartphone/data service retread

jfcoopjr

Reaction score
Greetings from Hudsonville, Michigan! I'm half-way between Grand Rapids and Holland. I'm a prior BlackBerry owner/user :byeBB:, but returned to traditional phone (Samsung Convoy) and service to conserve and curtail monthly expenses :crazy:. Verizon screwed me on that one, since my bill was only $4 less without the data :soapbox: and I was locked into another 2 year contract! Anyway, lately I've kind of been feeling left behind as society is trending toward the newer technologies and communications.

As Motorola prepares to release the DROID RAZR MAXX HD, Amazon Wireless reduced pricing on the DROID RAZR MAXX to $69 this week. That's $140 less than Verizon's direct purchase pricing (with new/renewed 2 year contract, of course), so I couldn't put it off any longer :gotmyvote:. I had absolutely no interest in an iPhone, so I was seriously considering either the Samsung Galaxy S III or the DRIOD RAZR MAXX, just dreading the additional purchase and Verizon data plan expenses. Amazon settled that question!

Bought 2 for $138.98 (with the added shared everything family plan and 4gb of data). Accessorized one phone with Titan Kraken (Black/Green) case, and the other with the Otterbox Defender case. Both were far less than half of retailer prices on Amazon.com.

As a new DROID RAZR MAXX user/owner, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with, and maximize current Smartphone uses ... looking for suggestions and available aps and information from other DROID users. Computers and the evolution of our communications technologies have been both my professional tools and favorite hobbies.

I'm considering full-time rv-ing in the very near future, and without the convenience of constant cable/broadband internet, figured the Smartphone (DROID) would fulfill most social networking and communications needs, and occasionally using my DROID RAZR MAXX as an internet hotspot if necessary.

Looking forward to customizing my new tech-toy and using it to its fullest, and welcome all suggestions/advice!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! I was a Blackberry convert as well, have not looking back since I got the Droid 1 :)

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Welcome to DF. My wife is a BB convert as well. She went from a BB Bold to an Incredible 2 and she loves it.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I never owned a bb I came straight from a flip phone. The only thing I miss from the "dumbphone" days is only charging twice a week.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

sajgel

Reaction score
If you have HBO at home I would recommend HBO Go for the Maxx. Shopkick for rewards when shopping. I heart radio for music and talk radio when you are not home. Gasbuddy for locating cheap gas on your road trips.

OP
jfcoopjr

jfcoopjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and excellent recommendations! I'm looking forward to the community and information on DF.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the Maxx's! The only thing I suggest is if using the phone as a hotspot is knowing where you are at on GB usage and not to go over your monthly limit :)...

Good luck and have fun!