Seen an app like this?

qwiktune

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple app that basically stores user information and is searchable. For instance, I would like to enter a list of words and each word has a definition which is viewable when the word is clicked. And there is a search feature in the app that will let me search by typing in the word im looking for, or a word that is in the definition.....grouping the words and search via groups would be decent......

At work I have to know a bunch of abbreviations and obviously gonna have to know what they mean, and search feature would help me find them quick without having to look through them all so instead of writing them all down and carrying a paper around with me, i figure this would be ezer

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple app that basically stores user information and is searchable. For instance, I would like to enter a list of words and each word has a definition which is viewable when the word is clicked. And there is a search feature in the app that will let me search by typing in the word im looking for, or a word that is in the definition.....grouping the words and search via groups would be decent......

At work I have to know a bunch of abbreviations and obviously gonna have to know what they mean, and search feature would help me find them quick without having to look through them all so instead of writing them all down and carrying a paper around with me, i figure this would be ezer

I assume you've looked into the free dictionary.com app? I have it and use it all the time. Also what do you have set up in Settings > Search > Searchable items?

OP
qwiktune

qwiktune

Reaction score
I dont know if you understood me, i'm looking for an app that starts empty, and i can add in my own "words" and "definitions"....kind of like a search able/word group-able Notepad....like if you took AK Notepad and allowed grouping and searching of user entered words and/or definitions...get it?

Samstag

Reaction score
I think Evernote might be what you're looking for. I haven't used it, but I've heard it's good at searching user-created notes, lists, etc.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think Evernote might be what you're looking for. I haven't used it, but I've heard it's good at searching user-created notes, lists, etc.

I don't think Evernote, gDocs, or NoteEverything, each of which I have on my phone, will meet the OP's needs. Each allows one to search for a document that contains a word or string, but the result set is simply the document, itself, not the particular "entry" in the document with the string.

As I understand his question, he wants to be able to search WITHIN a document for the occurrence of a particular abbreviation, term, etc. and see the definition of that term or the entry that includes the search term.

There may be such an application, basically a dictionary that allows the user to provide his/her own entries, but I'm not aware of one.

As a workaround, I'd suggest creating such a list on the web, say in Google Docs, and use your browser to access the document. At that point you should have standard ctl-F search capabilities that would meet your needs.

Alternatively, you could create a spreadsheet using the paid version of Documents to Go (or some other app that provides spreadsheet capabilities on your phone) and handle it that way with one column for the term and the second column for the definition, etc.

Last edited:
OP
qwiktune

qwiktune

Reaction score
EverNote is close, however I found an app called Notebook, that i believe will work as a substitute for what I need right now, i mean i wish it had more option but its basically like AK Notepad, but you can search your entries. Lists the titles [word] of the entries, when you click them you can see the full body [definition] of your entry. And it has a search bar in it to quick search to the entries...if I could take this app and add maybe grouping and a few other minor options, itd be just about what I was looking for, but i think it may work as is for now....maybe i'll try and make my own, tho Im not GREAT with java, im more of a graphic guys, but if anyone is willing to help me, im sure we could put something nice out for the public lol

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
EverNote is close, however I found an app called Notebook, that i believe will work as a substitute for what I need right now, i mean i wish it had more option but its basically like AK Notepad, but you can search your entries. Lists the titles [word] of the entries, when you click them you can see the full body [definition] of your entry. And it has a search bar in it to quick search to the entries...if I could take this app and add maybe grouping and a few other minor options, itd be just about what I was looking for, but i think it may work as is for now....maybe i'll try and make my own, tho Im not GREAT with java, im more of a graphic guys, but if anyone is willing to help me, im sure we could put something nice out for the public lol

If you're willing to spend $10, a spreadsheet is exactly what you're looking for. See Documents to Go.