Secure sites not available with tethering via hotspot and USB

WickedWriter

Reaction score
My Droid Razr does a great job of tethering (to most sites), but there are several secure sites (https://) that simply will not resolve. I've noticed that my secure google sites DO resolve and load properly. SOME, but not all, of the Motorola secure sites will resolve. Other secure login sites (ebay for example) will not.

I can log into these sites without issue on the Razr itself, but not on my tethered devices (Macbook Pro/iPad).

Has anyone else had this issue? Any resolutions suggestions?

sparky1124

Reaction score
Well, I'm on my 2nd Razor. No GOOD as a Mobil hot spot. I can't even log in to my Verizon. I've got two Droid X's that work fine as a Mobil hot spot

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
WickedWriter

WickedWriter

Reaction score
I'm surprised

Other than the issue with secure sites, which I still haven't figured out, I find the Razr to be a much better mobile hotspot than the mifi I have been using. It pulls in a better signal and offers me 3g speeds where other cell phones (with other services) didn't even offer me a single bar.

Now, if only some Droid-God could help me figure out the secure site issue ;)

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Are you using the built in hotspot app? I don't own a RAZR so I'm not sure but I think if you root your phone and maybe using a 3rd party tether app?

You can also check out our sister site dedicated to the Razr @ Droid RAZR Forum - Motorola Droid RAZR Community

OP
WickedWriter

WickedWriter

Reaction score
I'm using the built in hotspot option. I'm not quite ready to root the device yet -- I'll need to learn a bit more about the android OS. Any suggestions for making the tether work on secure sites?

upgraydd

Reaction score
The problem is the MTU setting for the computer. By default, the MTU setting is 1500 and must be changed to 1428.

For Windows PC:

XP > Go to Start Menu, open Run, type in CMD and press Enter or click OK.

Vista/7 > go to the start menu, type in cmd, find cmd.exe, right-click on cmd.exe and then click Run as Administrator

For both systems, type in the following commands

Code:
[B]netsh
interface ipv4
show interface[/B]
You should get something that looks like this:

Code:
Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          50        1500  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
  9           5        1500  connected     Wireless Network Connection

29          10        1500  connected     Local Area Connection 
 38          10        1500  connected     Local Area Connection 2

If you are USB Tethering, then the interface we want to change would most likely be "Local Area Connection 2" (since your ethernet would most likely be "Local Area Connection" because it was installed before the Droid USB Tether adapter). To change its MTU setting, type in:

Code:
[B]set interface "Local Area Connection 2" mtu=1428[/B]

If you are connecting via wifi hotspot, then type in:

Code:
[B]set interface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1428[/B]

You should be able to surf freely now.

For Mac users:

1. Go to System Preferences

2. Click Network

3. On the left side of the Network pane, click on the interface which you are using to tether to the phone (if its wireless tether, click on AirPort. If USB, click on the Ethernet that has the phone icon).

4. Click the Advanced button on the right side of the pane.

5. Click Ethernet tab.

6. Click on Automatically and change it to Manually.

7. Click Standard and change it to Custom

8. Below Custom, enter in 1428 for the MTU

9. OK out of everything. If asked to apply settings, then apply them.

Welp, thats it. You're welcome, internet.

breedingh8

Reaction score
I'm using the built in hotspot option. I'm not quite ready to root the device yet -- I'll need to learn a bit more about the android OS. Any suggestions for making the tether work on secure sites?

That post fix your issue?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

RobertWicked87

Reaction score
The problem is the MTU setting for the computer. By default, the MTU setting is 1500 and must be changed to 1428.

For Windows PC:

Vista/7 > go to the start menu, type in cmd, find cmd.exe, right-click on cmd.exe and then click Run as Administrator

Code:
[B]netsh
interface ipv4
show interface[/B]

Code:

If you are USB Tethering, then the interface we want to change would most likely be "Local Area Connection 2" (since your ethernet would most likely be "Local Area Connection" because it was installed before the Droid USB Tether adapter). To change its MTU setting, type in:

Code:

Code:

For Mac users:

2. Click Network

3. On the left side of the Network pane, click on the interface which you are using to tether to the phone (if its wireless tether, click on AirPort. If USB, click on the Ethernet that has the phone icon).

5. Click Ethernet tab.

I'm an avid lurker of this forum, ever since my droid eris. I have never made an account until now, because I just had to say. !Thank you!!. This worked flawlessy and allows me to see https pages. It was also so stupid simple. So thank you very much. I guess now I don't have an accuse not to participate now haha.

OP
WickedWriter

WickedWriter

Reaction score
Must admit that I wish I'd seen this a few hours earlier than it was posted. After about four hours on the phone with Verizon technical support -- and a "return to factory settings" requirement, I was able to get on the secure pages that weren't working. Unfortunately, OTHER secure pages popped up later that I couldn't access.

The solutions you gave (and thank you so much for the Mac OS version) seems to have fixed the problems! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Awesome support over here on the forums, guys -- I'll be back over and over!

sparky1124

Reaction score

For Windows PC:

Code:
[B]netsh
interface ipv4
show interface[/B]

Code:

Code:

Code:

For Mac users:

2. Click Network

5. Click Ethernet tab.

Your instructions were perfect. I too was on the phone several times with Verizon. Finally they transferred me to a Motorola tech. I couldn't understand him, probably cause he was in India. Thought he said "itv4"

Thank you

tadpole88

Reaction score

For Windows PC:

Code:
[B]netsh
interface ipv4
show interface[/B]

Code:

Code:

Code:

For Mac users:

2. Click Network

5. Click Ethernet tab.

So you are telling me that for every computer or tablet that wishes you use this hotspot has to make these changes to their system, that crazy for a $600 phone. Seems like it would be easier for MOTO to change the phones to the common settings for computers and tablets.

If you make these changes to the MTU on your computer what about your other HOTSPOT devices that you have that are already working do you have to keep switching back for 1500 to 1428 to 1500?

ddfuji

Reaction score
My Droid Razr does a great job of tethering (to most sites), but there are several secure sites (https://) that simply will not resolve. I've noticed that my secure google sites DO resolve and load properly. SOME, but not all, of the Motorola secure sites will resolve. Other secure login sites (ebay for example) will not.

I can log into these sites without issue on the Razr itself, but not on my tethered devices (Macbook Pro/iPad).

Has anyone else had this issue? Any resolutions suggestions?

Root it. Boot it. Modify values. Flawless tether

ddfuji

Reaction score
So you are telling me that for every computer or tablet that wishes you use this hotspot has to make these changes to their system, that crazy for a $600 phone. Seems like it would be easier for MOTO to change the phones to the common settings for computers and tablets.

If you make these changes to the MTU on your computer what about your other HOTSPOT devices that you have that are already working do you have to keep switching back for 1500 to 1428 to 1500?

Root your phone

big58ben

Reaction score
Here's the thing

When I am traveling and I want to connect an iPad or another tablet where do I make the network changes. Something is basically wrong with this not working "out of the box".

I pays my money and I expects it to be what I pay for.

I thank you for the advise but Verizon needs to fix this.

gator57

Reaction score
Fix

I was having the same problem with my razor but I did not realize that it was the secure site I inserted the fix on the Mac and wallah! Fixed awesome now if someone could tell me how to fix it on my ipad2 I would be sitting in high cotton! Again thanks for the fix. So the question is since I looked for similar settings in the iPad they weren't there so is there a setting in the phone or is rooting it the only way to achieve that?