sd card crash / wiped

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
Has anyone elses sd card randomly wiped everything on it? It was fine last night then this morning I went to listen to some music and for every song it said music player didn't support that file type. I thought wtf and went into astro file manager and the sd card was empty and I checked the card usage and it shows the full 14.whatever gb free... I had tons of pictures and some worrk docs saved on there so I am pretty pissed off.

I did the manual update two nights ago and had no problems with the phone up until now. Could I have a bad sdcard?

I tried searching but couldn't find any similar problems with the card losing everything randomly like this.

OP
C

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
No, it hasnt been connected since I did the manual update. Everything was fine last night and I plugged it into the charger over night and on my way to work went to listen to music and that is when the problem occurred. When I got to work I hooked up the USB cable and started transferring music back onto the droid when it seemed like the sd card messed up again and I had to unmount and remount it to the computer through the droid and it has been working fine since.

PrincessBlah

Reaction score
Had the same problem this evening. I lost my pics, music, everything. I was listening to DroidLive when it happened. So maybe associated with that? It does say it can modify/delete SD card contents. That's the best idea I've come up with. If someone figures out what's really wrong let me know. I'm kinda irritated.

eliassami5

Reaction score
same thing happened to my droid this morning, i got a call but in a different ring tone. I went to go and set the ring tone again thinking it was just a glitch or something and then the phone said it dosent support this type of media file. I was like..WTF. Then i went into Astro and my SD card was EMPTY! I think it was because unpluged my phone from my computer last night and forgot to dismount it. But the OP said he hasnt had it mounted in a while so i dont know how his got erased. And i did manualy update my droid to 2.0.1

Luckily my brother also has a droid and his SD card is fine so im just copying everything from his and pasting it onto mine, hopefully it will work. But i still lost all my pictures and other things i had saved on my card..

joshua117

Reaction score
Strange, I wouldn't think the card was bad, but you never know. This happened after your update? I wouldn't think it would matter (as they are the same thing just different delivery methods) but were these manual or ota updates? I updated a few days ago via ota and have yet to have this problem.

OP
C

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
looks like both mine and elias did the manual update.

I'm really hoping it doesnt keep doing this. I don't want to go 2-3 more weeks taking pictures, downloading documents, etc... just to have them disappear for no reason.

Is there some kind of log that this phone keeps in the background like the windows event viewer? Maybe that would lead to what happened.

HEMDROID

Reaction score
Well this got me looking into Astro, luckily my files are there and intact...

OP
C

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
Alright so it happened again this afternoon. I havent connected it to the computer or done anything since last loading music onto it. I am wondering if it might of been an app I had on it. Either way, I stopped by Verizon and they swapped it for a new one.

To me the new one feels different. The on/off key feels more recessed into the phone and doesn't "click" like the last one would but I like it. The slide out keyboard feels different too, just can't figure out why though since I dont have the old one to compare it to.

I hope this new one solves my problems.

aldenpotamus

Reaction score
Add me to the list...

Woke up this morning to a strange alarm only to find the SD card in my Droid totally empty :-/ Had quite a few things on there no backed up... bummer.

I took the card out of the phone and checked it via a card reader and it was blank... so looks like it's all really gone, so have people have this happen multiple times, should i brace for more wipes?

OP
C

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
Like I posted I had it happen a second time within a week so I took the phone to verizon and they traded it out for a new one. I hope it doesn't become a wide spread problem. I'm wondering if upgrading to a better quality sdcard would help.

eliassami5

Reaction score
i went to look at Motorola's Droid fourms to see if this problem has been reported and i found out that it has. And many are saying that there is a link between Slacker radio and their SD cards being wiped. I use Slacker frequently so i have uninstalled it and i hope to never have this happen again. You might want to do the same.

MannyPR

Reaction score
I had this problem as well. It didn't wipe the card but seems like it corrupted the directory structure and the phone would just show an icon in the notification bar and say something like "SD card removed, insert another one". I pulled into the card reader and luckily all my data was there. I backed it up, did a quick format, reinstalled and no luck, phone would still not accept that sd card. I used another one of the many that I had fearing that it was the phone and it worked fine. Doing a complete format on the card brought it back to life. I thought it might have been a faulty card until now. BTW the card that failed wasn't the one that came with the phone and is a class 4 card (faster than the class 2 that comes with it).