SD Card Copying Slow

Reaction score
I jsut got my new droid today and im recopying all the info from my old sd that i backed up on my computer

But the copying is taking 30 min for 3 gigs, that not usb 2.0 speeds. Tried to reformat the card with no luck.

Any suggestions? Search yielded me nothing

Glad to have my droid back though, already installed sprecovery just need to flash nandroid after this ridiculous wait for the copying

Skaggz

Reaction score
Is your computer's hard drive heavily fragmented, or are you low on system memory?
I don't know. Just sit back and enjoy when it's all finished I guess.

OP
G
Reaction score
Is your computer's hard drive heavily fragmented, or are you low on system memory?
I don't know. Just sit back and enjoy when it's all finished I guess.

nah computer has 4 gigs of ram and usually only runs at around 40% at most.

I tried reformatting the sd card, using a adapter for the sd card out of the phone, switching usb ports, restarting the phone and computer

no luck

on the other hand my phone is rooted and fully mooded again dancedroid

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What class is the SD card? You're only as fast as the slowest link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Keep in mind that nothing on that chart is capable of 480Mbps or 60MBps.

3GB/30mins sounds roughly equivalent to 1.6MB/s -- if my math is right -- which is just under what class 2 maxes out at (2MB/s). The max rate isn't the same as the sustained rate. The latter will be less.

IIRC, most forum users here seemed to indicate that their Droids shipped with class 2 cards. Mine certainly did. If yours is as well then you're not going to improve transfer speeds without a faster card.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think it also depends on what you're copying... i've noticed that if you're copying over one file that is 2 gig vs 5,000 files that are 2 gig, the 5,000 will move much slower...

jimnutt

Reaction score
Your best bet for copying large amounts of data from the computer to the sd card is to remove the card from the phone and use an adapter to mount it on the computer directly. When you use the droid to do the copy it adds an extra layer of handling that slows things down somewhat.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your best bet for copying large amounts of data from the computer to the sd card is to remove the card from the phone and use an adapter to mount it on the computer directly. When you use the droid to do the copy it adds an extra layer of handling that slows things down somewhat.

+1 - spend $20 on a micro sd reader, worth it if you transfer stuff back and forth a lot... MUCH faster

OP
G
Reaction score
What class is the SD card? You're only as fast as the slowest link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Keep in mind that nothing on that chart is capable of 480Mbps or 60MBps.

3GB/30mins sounds roughly equivalent to 1.6MB/s -- if my math is right -- which is just under what class 2 maxes out at (2MB/s). The max rate isn't the same as the sustained rate. The latter will be less.

IIRC, most forum users here seemed to indicate that their Droids shipped with class 2 cards. Mine certainly did. If yours is as well then you're not going to improve transfer speeds without a faster card.

I remember my old one transfering alot faster then this one has been. It took over an hour for the 3 gigs, est time was 30 min but i got through an episode and a half of dexter before it finished

+1 - spend $20 on a micro sd reader, worth it if you transfer stuff back and forth a lot... MUCH faster

Reading owns you both, i said i tried an adapter