screen turns black while calling

deftonesxglenna

Reaction score
lately & most of the time while using my phone, the screen turns black. it wouldn't be a huge problem but even if i press the actually end button, it won't end my call. when i slide my phone out, it will than show everything on the touch screen & can end the call when i press the end key [or enter in my password with the dial pad when calling my voicemail] on the touch screen. its pretty annoying & i was wondering if this happens to anyone else. & if so, is there anyone to fix it? [& yes i've restarted my phone & have taken the battery out quite a number of times; still hasn't worked properly though.]

blumpkinblake

Reaction score
This is a feature to save battery life. It should usually come back on after you take your head away from the phone. However, if it isn't responsive after you take your head away go to settings>accessibility>power button ends call. That will make it so you can press the power button to end a call. That helps out with my problems when the screen doesn't turn on.

OP
D

deftonesxglenna

Reaction score
I forgot to mention .. I'm aware that the screen does go on when I put my head away but Lately now even if I do put my face away it still stays black & even any of the buttons don't work [the end button. Home button. Etc]. I tried looking for the setting you were talking about but that option doesn't even existance for me on this phone.

thehealthymom

Reaction score
Skin?

Do you have a skin on your phone? At the top right, next to the Verizon logo are three dots. The entire rectangle around those dots is the proximity sensor for the screen to turn on/off for calls.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Sometimes its because you have a lot of apps on your phone and your phone is just running a little sluggishly because there's not as much free RAM, because Android opens up a lot of apps on their own. This is exactly the reason why many people think they actually need an auto-task killer because they over-load their phone with apps (trust me, I do the same usually), and it starts to run sluggishly because of the lack of free RAM.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I should tell you I was noticing that for a while too, even though I have the Motorola Droid, and it was because I had an ASSLOAD of stuff installed.