Status
Not open for further replies.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
+1 ... it will rotate in the settings menu and other apps with the keyboard closed but not on the home screen.

Orientation / Accelerometer Problems - Android Forums

I beg to differ.
that pic is bogus and can be duplicated by anyone right now. Here's how.

Pull out your keyboard and wait for device to orientate itself into landscape mode.

Close it quickly......notice there is a slight lag before the screen reorientates itself again. Thats when the pic was taken. It's a "fake"

Lets put this issue to rest. This has already been addressed on Motorolas Support forum and an employee of Moto confirmed this is not a function of the OS. Never was.....

This thread reminds me of another thread in here where people swear there was no line on the lock screen and a silent update must have went out.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Sorry, you're wrong. It does not rotate to landscape mode on the home screen with the keyboard closed. You can spin it till you turn pink and it'll stay the same.

Nope. Sorry, YOU'RE wrong. Do a search of the web and you will see many users are reporting that the phone will still rotate the home screen in landscape mode. Not to mention you will see many threads lamenting the fact that the phone USED to perform this function, however now stays locked in portrait.

Need more proof?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTYYQtxZ_k[/ame]

cuz people post it doesn't make it true. facts make things true.

moozicmon

Reaction score
Panda home does that, like in that guy's video. The stock 2.0 does not, and NEVER DID do that.

Well then that means me and the people in these forums must just be insane then.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/73269

Orientation / Accelerometer Problems - Android Forums

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...36-home-screen-only-portrait-orientation.html

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Problem with home screen rotating on Motorola Droid

Home Screen Rotate - At Least For Me - Android Central Forums

not to mention this Motorola rep has lost his mind as well...

"Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

Regarding your concern, please note that i have been doing further researches regarding our yesterday's chat session and the Droid will temporarily not be changing the display mode with the slide closed. This modification is due to the last software update that was sent to this phones. I already forwarded the information on order for the people that takes care of this to be aware of this change and start working on this for the next software update. I do really apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and I really appreciate your interest in this product and the help you have been for us.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA

Thank you for contacting Motorola chat support.

Best Regards,

Federico F."

-Cheers

That is a whole lot of people saying the EXACT same thing...

brianr0131

Reaction score
Well then that means me and the people in these forums must just be insane then

If the shoe fits.....

The guy from Motorola can't even speak english. There was no secret update to make your phone stop rotating. I got mine on day 1 and it NEVER did it.

moozicmon

Reaction score
Well then that means me and the people in these forums must just be insane then

If the shoe fits.....

The guy from Motorola can't even speak english. There was no secret update to make your phone stop rotating. I got mine on day 1 and it NEVER did it.

Ah, didn't realize speaking English was a requirement to work as a Motorola chat support agent...

I suppose these DEVELOPERS in the Android Code forum also have no idea what they are talking about... Issue 4712 - android - Droid does not rotate home screen outside of applications - Project Hosting on Google Code

When I bought my Motorola Droid the home screen and contacts list would
automatically rotate when I turned the phone to landscape orientation. Now
it doesn't do that except inside applications.

I have verified that the option is enabled under settings. Turning it
on/off doesn't fix it. Factory reset doesn't fix it. Rebooting the phone
and taking out the battery doesn't resolve the issue either.

It happened after I filled up my home screen with shortcuts. It worked
fine for 2 days (starting the 9th and ending the 11th) and the it stopped
functioning. Many others have this problem and there is a incorrectly
categorized issue about it (category: enhancement).

Issue 4555 - android - android 2.0 home screen wont rotate with keyboard closed except when in car mode - Project Hosting on Google Code

This is a bug, not an enhancement request

I also am having the same issue, my home screen would rotate automaticaly when I
bought the phone, but stopped after about an hour.

I am having the same issue. I noticed it 2 days ago and not sure why the screen does
not rotate anymore?

Mine also stopped doing this after a day or so.

Same here. I'm going to return my phone if they don't come up with a fix soon

Same thing with my phone , motorola droid.

Same issue homepage auto rotated fine for 1 or 2 days but doesn't work any longer, most
likely after adding a few shortcuts

I'm sorry but "My phone never did that" doesn't exactly invalidate the concern of a bunch of individuals working with the code of Android...:icon_ nono2:

moozicmon

Reaction score
oh look, I found some more:

Comment 4 by avanraalte, Nov 08, 2009
I am having the same issue. I had thought the home screen auto rotated when I first got my phone. Now I noticed it stopped doing so in a closed keypad position. Did it never or am I going crazy?
Comment 5 by avanraalte, Nov 08, 2009
Seems like Home is not suppose to auto rotate. I don't think this is a bug - might be keen to be a suggestion now?
Comment 6 by david.l.fitzpatrick, Nov 08, 2009
Nope not going crazy!!! After I added a few apps (or some background update) the home screen stopped auto rotating. Now the car app closes when I rotate it!!! Looking for a full backup app and will factory reset and see if the problems go away...
Comment 7 by avanraalte, Nov 08, 2009
Don't factory reset. I tried and home auto rotate never came back. User beware. Moto Droid and Android 2.0.
Comment 8 by samuel.grund, Nov 08, 2009
Thanks for the tip, I was just about to do that
Comment 9 by jwright8604, Nov 08, 2009
I noticed this issue with mine when I started using the desktop cradle/charger. Maybe when it goes into this mode something doesn't revert back properly when removed from the docks.
Comment 10 by chrisk1590, Nov 08, 2009
Same here, won't rotate.
Comment 11 by grn2rzmo, Nov 08, 2009
Same here. Once I start adding apps, the home screen stopped auto rotating unless you slide the keyboard out.
Comment 12 by andrew.colabella, Nov 09, 2009
I'm having the same problem as grn2rzmo: Once I started adding apps, the home screen stopped auto rotating unless I slide the keyboard out. The settings page and the browser still reorient when I rotate the phone.
Comment 13 by andrew.colabella, Nov 09, 2009
I'm having the same problem as grn2rzmo: Once I started adding apps, the home screen stopped auto rotating unless I slide the keyboard out. The settings page and the browser still reorient when I rotate the phone.
Comment 14 by jonathan.hle, Nov 09, 2009
Same issue here...worked fine out of the box...but now it stopped.
Comment 15 by clement.jim, Nov 09, 2009
Same issue. Started hours after I bought the thing: Unpredictable rotate on home screen. Sometimes it rotates when leaving an app, but I don't notice anything I consistantly do when it decides it will rotate correctly.
Comment 16 by angharandroid, Nov 09, 2009
Mine worked for the first day but quit after I did a reset to change my gmail address. Hope it gets resolved/turned back on.
Comment 17 by NickVandehey, Nov 09, 2009
Another comment of the same variety... Mine didn't work (thought, Oh Crap... I don't like this), then it rotated as I would hoped without the keyboard out, then it went back again to not being rotated
Comment 18 by kristopherjones, Nov 10, 2009
Ditto. Auto reorients everywhere but on home desktop. Worked fine for onlyh a few hours
Comment 19 by emueller2001, Nov 10, 2009
Just posting to say that I have the same problem as everyone else. I think it worked fine until the evening or late afternoon of November 9. Now, no rotation on home screen, lock-out screen or contact screen unless the keyboard is open. As soon as I click it shut, it immediately returns to portrait mode, even if I am still holding it horizontally. I would like this to be fixed, too.
Comment 20 by [email protected], Nov 10, 2009
(No comment was entered for this change.)
Labels: -Type-Defect Type-Enhancement Component-Applications Subcomponent-AppMgmt
Comment 21 by potatobrownies, Nov 10, 2009
I know it's getting old by now but I'm also having this issue as it seems everyone is. I have to admit it does make sense in most cases, but it would be nice to see this become an option.
Comment 22 by pickabar, Nov 10, 2009
Just another +1. At this point, this is the main issue I'm having with my otherwise fabulous device.
Comment 23 by [email protected], Nov 10, 2009
Same here. Not sure if its related but after I added some apps it stopped rotating.
Comment 24 by battlejj, Nov 10, 2009
Mine also has this problem. I removed all apps and the problem persisted. I factory reset as well and the problem persisted. It functioned as of 11/06/09 (purchase date) and stopped functioning correctly sometime during 11/07/09.
Comment 25 by slhaas, Nov 10, 2009
I honestly don't think it ever did it for me, and I don't think it's an enabled feature for anyone, but I can't speak for you. I see that it can be done because it'll do it when in the home media dock or the car dock/cradle. It should be enabled because it just looks and feels funny when using the phone in landscape mode with the keyboard closed, which happens often. I think it should just be enabled.
Comment 26 by battlejj, Nov 10, 2009
As you can see from this thread [https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16696?tstart=0] and the one it references there is a photo of it on a correctly functioning phone. I have also attached the photo in question.

l_167cb8c210644625a760b33a6b0e4d89.jpg
15.8 KB Download

Comment 27 by slhaas, Nov 10, 2009
I believe mine has done it in the past as well after I remove it from the home or car dock, and maybe once after exiting an app, but it's never done it by default.
Comment 28 by NickVandehey, Nov 10, 2009
FWIW, I also loose my wallpaper when I go to landscape mode (keyboard out only, of course), but maybe that's another whole new issue to bring up
Comment 29 by ryan.sumida, Nov 11, 2009
Another +1. Hope this gets fixed soon. HTC passion/dragon will be out soon. Maybe I should have waited :l
Comment 30 by [email protected], Nov 11, 2009
+1 , I have the same issue. Worked fine, then OTA update, now no longer auto-rotates without opening the keyboard slider. Motorola is also aware -- another thread was opened, in addition to battlejj above https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16696?tstart=0
Comment 31 by samuel.grund, Nov 11, 2009
My phone app is doing the same thing now
Comment 32 by bencm85, Nov 11, 2009
Mine is doing the same. Sounds like some like it and some don't. Maybe give us the option to auto rotate home and contacts? I rarely use the phone in portrait and much prefer the auto rotate feature.
Comment 33 by Zshazz, Nov 11, 2009
This is a bug, IMO. If I have the facebook widget and I want to update my status, I would have to use the portrait keyboard to enter it in, because the home screen refuses to rotate. Now, the landscape keyboard is MUCH MUCH better for my fingers... but that's just me, I guess.
Comment 34 by geoprunes, Nov 11, 2009
I am having the same problem. Once some apps were added, no more rotation.
Comment 35 by psevere, Nov 11, 2009
#33 is correct. Please fix this issue, the hotfix/update released this weekend clearly was not designed by the same developers and quality control people that developed the rest of the unit. The "fix" reduced the functionality of the device. Motorola needs to admit that this is an issue and that the auto-orient menu option currently does not work and will work as it should when a hotfix is developed. Fix this glitch if this unit is expected to compete with the iPhone. I don't really care who is my provider as long as my handset works as described and designed and this one is not measuring up. On the other hand Motorola could release their entire os source code and let us fix it ourselves in true Droid, open source, spirit; but I won't hold my breath.
Comment 36 by ryan.sumida, Nov 11, 2009
This is a bug! How is it that some people see this as the normal behavior of the OS?? If I'm at the "Car Home" screen in landscape and click on "Contacts" the screen changes to portrait mode. Throughout those steps the physical orientation of the phone stays the same but the display mode changes. That is definitely a bug! How is it that this rev made it to production with an obvious bug still open? Sorry for the rant. This bug, along with a few others, have me really irked.
Comment 37 by gfreshmail, Nov 11, 2009
I have the same issue. Received the phone Monday, November 9th. Today it stopped rotating on the home screen and contacts (November 11th). It won't rotate or show me the landscape mode when I rotate it in the home screen. It happened shortly after I filled up the home screen with applications. I thought it was doing it because the screen was too cluttered so I deleted some shortcuts. It didn't fix it.
Comment 38 by garedwards, Nov 11, 2009
This is a defect, not an enhancement.
Comment 39 by ksimmons, Nov 12, 2009
Definitely have the same issue described. After reading motorolla forums it sounds like the following two apps could trigger this (I have both of these installed also): advanced taskiller bar code scanner Hoping a fix is pushed out soon.
Comment 40 by garedwards, Nov 12, 2009
@ksimmons I definitely had this happen shortly after installing advanced taskiller, now that you mention it. Where did you find that thread?
Comment 41 by ksimmons, Nov 12, 2009
@garedwards https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16696?start=0&tstart=0
Comment 42 by slhaas, Nov 12, 2009
There was a hotfix?
Comment 43 by ryan.sumida, Nov 12, 2009
@#39 ksimmons I'm inclined to disagree with it being tied to adv task killer and the bar code scanner. Some people have done factory resets and still encountered this bug. Either way I hope this gets escalated soon.
Comment 44 by battlejj, Nov 12, 2009
It's unrelated to apps being installed, many people have not installed either of those apps. A Motorola support agent stated their was an OTA update that is the cause of the problem. When people encounter this problem simply relies on when they receive their OTA update (some may not even know this is a problem as their phone received the OTA update before their phone was done being activated by their technician). Factory resets do not solve the issue because they do not roll back OTA updates.
Comment 45 by battlejj, Nov 12, 2009
I guess I should eat my words? A forum manager on Motorola just disputed that information given by a Motorola support agent, saying the following: "The information that was posted from the call center agent is not exactly correct. It does seem to be true that a previous version of the software behaved like you describe yours doing for the first few days. However, that was pre-release software and should not be on any phones sold. We are as puzzled as you are at this “works for a few days like this, then changes” thing. Patrick (the Motorolan who said "that's how it's supposed to work") wasn’t misleading anyone – this is completely unexpected. I can also say with confidence that this is not due to some change we made after you bought your Droid. We haven’t pushed any new software. The way you are describing how rotation works today is how it is intended to work. (This topic sure brings home to me how many thousands -- millions? -- of decisions go into a device like this. It is mind-boggling. Most of them are never recognized as someone's decision -- it's just that way and we accept it.) We have noted that some owners like the idea of being able to have a different rotation protocol. Seems reasonable to me and I will pass it on. Sorry this has caused so much frustration! "
Comment 46 by sdjeff, Nov 13, 2009
OK, so as a new droid owner I need the landscape homescreen. It's just easier to use my thumbs to flick open the "hood" taskbar thingy. I've found half the a solution by running the app DockRunner. This app turns the droids display landscape..but it is then "locked" in this mode..that's right no portrait mode (unless of course you kill the app). The app was meant to replicate the "Dock" mode for the phone (which it goes into with some $30 magnetized accessory) to become an alarm clock with some basic features.
Comment 47 by sdjeff, Nov 13, 2009
It's worth mentioning I think this phone was meant for landscape mode, the ergonomics of it seem far superior to me. As I mentioned the thumb swipe of the hood really does create an economy of motion. I would be content being "locked" into landscape mode, until I "unlocked" it. Hell someone could even write an app that toggles the two. EXCEPT........the second hood/task bar thingy is on the top of the screen screen and I want it on the left side of the screen! I don't even remember if this is the factory default or not? I hope not! To get a better feel for what I talking about (the two thumbs method). Just put your phone in both hands (landscape orientation) on the broken home screen (yes the text will be rotate 90 degrees sideways). Now flip the hoods back and forth...easier? Quicker? To bad my pricey new gadget has a defect! :(
Comment 48 by soulcacher, Nov 13, 2009
The reverse is also true of the "Phone" app. When in the car dock, it doesn't rotate, even though it should.
Comment 49 by achirico76, Nov 14, 2009
Same issues here. The phone used to work "correctly" now it will only rotate if I slide out the keyboard.
Comment 50 by sean.mccune, Nov 14, 2009
When I noticed mine not rotating (I never noticed whether it ever had), I went into the Sound & Display settings and found the Orientation checkbox unchecked. Turned it back on and now it auto-rotates again without sliding out the keyboard.
Comment 51 by battlejj, Nov 14, 2009
Sean, Can you post your Build Number from Settings > About phone?
Comment 52 by JonathanPaxton, Nov 14, 2009
The Google God, Please don't kill me for saying the following: This sh*t is broke bros. Can't one of you guys pop on this thread and say something like 'we're working on this'? Because you probably are, but in the meantime we run aound like chickenheads looking for a mysterious savior app to make what this phone should do naturally: auto-rotate on the most commonly used screen. What type of creature do we need to sacrifice to appease you?
Comment 53 by sean.mccune, Nov 14, 2009
My build number is ESD20. But I forgot another piece of info. I'm running OpenHome as my Home screen, not the default Home. This may have something to do with it. However, neither auto-rotated but OpenHome does now that I turned Orientation on. I don't know about the original Home app. I'm not sure how to get back to it without uninstalling OpenHome... which I do not want to do.
Comment 54 by battlejj, Nov 15, 2009
Sean's home screen orientation was in fact due to Open Home, I've downloaded and tested it. Open Home allows for rotation of Open Home's version of the Home screen but not for the default Andriod Home screen. Lock, Phone, Call Log, Contacts and Favorite screens are also unaffected by Open Home's auto-rotation.
Comment 55 by michelelconti, Nov 15, 2009
Come to think of it mine stopped rotating after I hooked it up to my computer to move some music onto it. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem.
Comment 56 by garedwards, Nov 16, 2009
This is still broken. It used to work on the default Home application. It auto-rotates with 91PandaHome and OpenHome, but those are third-party slow applications. Where did this functionality go!? I will vote with my wallet and return this phone if this issue persists!
Comment 57 by ksimmons, Nov 16, 2009
I can confirm that a factory reset does not fix this problem. I tried several times with and without connecting back to my google account.
Comment 58 by rdunham66, Nov 19, 2009
Having same problem. I have had my phone for 3 days and it worked the first 2.
Comment 59 by geoffrey.feldman, Nov 19, 2009
I had a storm for a year and it's home screen and other screens auto rotated. Frequently this lead to trying to click on one icon and clicking on another as the screen rotated. It was not a positive experience. The iPhone similarly does not rotate the home screen and for the same usability issue. This is one of those things that some people may want but will reduce usability. Those who have not weighed in may find this undesirable if by some unfortunate chance, it is implemented.
Comment 60 by edminster, Nov 19, 2009
Same problem here. This was literally working for me just 15 minutes ago. And then rather suddenly, as I was actively using the phone, it stopped. It's been functioning correctly since purchase on launch day. I, for one, rather like the landscape mode and would certainly like to see that functionality return. Intended or not. I'm not threatening to return it or anything so juvenile. I still love the device. I'd just love it a little more with landscape capability back on the desktop.
Comment 61 by kylethomson, Nov 19, 2009
Add me to the list of dissatisfied customers. 2 days of working perfectly, on the 3rd, like clockwork, it failed. Motorola had better fix this, and soon. I don't know that my love affair with the droid will continue with such an onerous glitch.
Comment 62 by redactedNov 20 (6 days ago)
I hope that Android developers dont overlook this in the Dec 11 update. Probably is more important than they think...
Comment 63 by [email protected], Nov 20 (6 days ago)
(No comment was entered for this change.)
Mergedinto: 2606

Comment 64 by webmichl, Nov 21 (5 days ago)
no landscape turn at Homescreen, Contacts and Dialerscreen. SMS/MMS and Browser work fine.
Comment 65 by m.schroeder223, Nov 24 (2 days ago)
The rotation of my contact, phone, and home screens stopped working after I turned off the orientation setting. When turned back on the rest of my apps resumed rotation as they were previously but the home, lock, phone and contact screens no longer rotate. I as well hope android developers don't overlook this flaw. Such a big flaw on an otherwise impressive piece of hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's funny that a select few insist that it's supposed to auto rotate when the vast majority understand it never did nor was never intended to.

The iPhone does not auto-rotate neither. There is a reason for this. The developers never intended the screen to auto-rotate and thats why they do not. Things don't work for a week and then just stop lol.

The thing is. The few who claim this were too busy getting acquainted with the device and never payed attention. They used the browser and apps in landscape but never payed attention to the home screen deliberately NOT orientating itself. Then when they noticed they were shocked.

There is a reason the few who make this claim noticed after 1 week of buying the device. They NEVER PAYED ATTENTION in the first place because it was a new device.

There is a reason they chose not to implement it. Who wants there screen flipping all over the place? Not me and probably not thousands of others. Thats what bugs me about panda it auto rotates. The end user wants to control this. I don't want the OS to dictate it. If you want it to orientate pull out the keyboard and use it like it was intended.

Moozic let it go. It never happened and will never be implemented natively : )

Again things don't work and then stop never to be replicated. Bugs can be replicated.

not one video of it. that should tell you something

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Here's something for the conspiracy theorist

jmm -- I work for Motorola. I have posted on this thread several times. However, I know the thread is long so I will reiterate my previous posts.

1. We are very aware of this thread and the points raised here.
  2. We are eager to see this performance in action, though we understand that is not an easy request. Nevertheless, documentation of this would be very valuable. This desire to verify this Droid behavior in no way is meant to imply that it isn't happening. It would help us understand what is happening.
  3. The no-rotatation on the home panel and other well-documented panels is the expected behavior of the Droid. This is in no way to imply that landscape rotation on these panels may not be desireable.
  4. There have been no software updates to any Droids sold to consumers since the launch, secret or otherwise.

I will add a couple of things. One, the Droid has been out only about 10 days and we are still getting our arms around all this feedback. This may be changed soon or it may never be changed, but it's impossible to know today. Two, this forum is here for your feedback. If you don't like this feature or behaviour, post your opinion. Maybe you have felt that your opinions aren't being heard on this thread. If that's the case, my apologies.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This thread has gotten out of control. The fact of the matter is that while there MAY have been a few users that did have their screens rotate without having the keyboard open, it was most likely a bug of some sort and either shutting off or running a certain service on the phone fixed the bug. The screen on most units has never auto-rotated. Arguing about this is a moot point. If you think the unit should then by all means send google, motorola, and verizon an email asking about it.

This thread has been :closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.