Say GoodBye To Some Future Root Methods!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
My Note 3 is running pure stock. Rooting and custom roms are things I don't do anymore.

Sent from my Note 3, using magic and TapaTalk version 2.4.15 ...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Droid Turbo "rom" out there has wireless tether and Xposed and Adblock (along with debloating and other tweaks)...there's not much else you really need. But I'm waiting to see what happens with Lollipop before I take the plunge.

I get along just fine without root (USB tether is fine for when I need to tether). Although I find a need to reboot my phone every few days because a few apps get wonky, and root would be nice to be able to auto-schedule that.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
What happens when you need to restore your phone back to factory settings, and you have data in 80% of your apps?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What happens when you need to restore your phone back to factory settings, and you have data in 80% of your apps?

Why would I need to do a factory reset? And between Google data restore and backing up data files/folders I don't see the issue if I need to do a factory reset.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Every time I get an update on my Xperia Z3 phone or Xperia Z2 tablet I use custom tools to add root to the update before flashing it. :cool:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Root for life!
uploadfromtaptalk1434627341808.jpg

Tapped by NexusSix

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I'm all for plugging security hole I'm also a firm believer that I should be allowed to root my own devices. If there were a more direct way of giving owners the option to root or not to root then plugging security holes wouldn't be so much of a tug-a-war.

This *infinity!

The two should be orthogonal. While secure, I should also, as the owner of my device, be allowed to root by device for my own purposes. No other technology prevents this! I can buy a Dell laptop and install any OS I want.

Part of this problem goes back to subsidized devices. How much do we really own our devices? Get rid of subsidies and the carriers won't have a legal leg to stand on in regard to who owns the device itself!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought my phone unsubsidized. The next phone I buy will be unsubsidized.

I had to scour forums, and buy strange tools to root and unlock my device. I will never ever do this again! If the phone is not unlocked, or can be easily unlocked and rooted, then I don't want it. That's just me.

It's like buying a computer, and in order for you to get on the Internet, the ISP says that your BIOS is locked, and you can't install anything else on it. You can only use Windows, and only the flavor of Windows they want.

Oh, Windows 10 is out??? Yes, but you can only run Windows 7 on this device. If you want Windows 10, buy a new computer! But but but... BUY A NEW COMPUTER!

What a joke.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought my phone unsubsidized. The next phone I buy will be unsubsidized.

I had to scour forums, and buy strange tools to root and unlock my device. I will never ever do this again! If the phone is not unlocked, or can be easily unlocked and rooted, then I don't want it. That's just me.

It's like buying a computer, and in order for you to get on the Internet, the ISP says that your BIOS is locked, and you can't install anything else on it. You can only use Windows, and only the flavor of Windows they want.

Oh, Windows 10 is out??? Yes, but you can only run Windows 7 on this device. If you want Windows 10, buy a new computer! But but but... BUY A NEW COMPUTER!

What a joke.

Agree 100%. The problem is that the subsidies do exist and the vast majority of phone buyers use them.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
wait lol, come on dude dont ride the fence...
Not sure how my statements are riding the fence. Are you saying we can't have root access and fill security holes? My linux box is updated frequently to plug security holes but I still have root privileges.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, Google has officially gone Apple on us. I can't say I'll stick with Android if this is true. It's like they're throwing open-source completely out of the window.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A completely padlocked, chained down & tied up Android is still better than a jailbroken iPhone, but that's just me.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure how my statements are riding the fence. Are you saying we can't have root access and fill security holes? My linux box is updated frequently to plug security holes but I still have root privileges.

Right. Alternatively, Google could work with developers to give us most of the features people want root for. I don't really care about roms anymore, but there are a few simple things I'd like root for.

Reactions: cr6

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Im saying dont try to pick and choose which companies unlock their stuff. If you're gonna unlock than unlock, if you are against it be against it. But plz dont say Company A you should unlock your phone, but Company B and C you guys are ok no unlocking needed. Thats all...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I simply CANNOT fathom this idea that having root access to your device should even be an option that is open to discussion.

Who in their right mind would purchase a PC with no admin rights to the system?? I can't even understand why someone would want to be locked out of admin rights on their own property.

I'm not someone who is easily offended but I am absolutely offended by the idea that I own a piece of electronics and have no admin rights (or root access in this instance) on that device and may never even be able to get those rights (Verizon Note 4).

I can understand your frustration, however having been privy to some inside information I'm well aware of the problems that rooted devices can cause a network when running custom roms or after deleting or deactivating crucial system services, and the expense that the network incurrs in dealing with those problems.

For instance, often times when a rooted device won't communicate on the network any longer the owner may believe there's a problem with the network so they get on the phone and call customer service and tech support and tie up the lines and utilize support resources for a problem that was actually built into the custom ROM or created by the user messing around with system files. Those added costs for support that wasn't necessary increase the cost for cellular service for everyone including me. If I choose not to root my phone I don't believe I should have to subsidize tech support costs for users somebody that did and that result in a request for tech support that wasn't necessary or warranted.

Also the analogy of a laptop not being able to run the user's choice of operating systems isn't really a proper analogy when compared to a cellular telephone. The main differentiation between the two is that the cellular telephone depends upon the cellular network to communicate and the network also depends upon the cell phone to operate in a specific fashion so the communications will take place. With a laptop you don't have those issues. There are standards that the laptops utilize for WiFi and Bluetooth, and other than that the laptop operates essentially completely on its own.

Last edited: