Samsung's Project KQ, aka Galaxy S5 Prime Will be a Very Limited Release

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
premium-samsung-logo.jpg

According to insider sources, Samsung is moving forward with their Project KQ Galaxy S5 Prime device, but it will be in a very limited capacity due to supply constraints and high production costs on their QHD (2560 x 1440) OLED panels. The source of this report also indicated that the device is expected to show up sometime in June of this year. There wasn't much else to report.

It's interesting to contemplate whether LG is faced with some of the same supply constraints for their 2K display, and if they are not, then why is Samsung having these issues? This is reminiscent of the Samsung Galaxy Round and LG G Flex. LG sold quite a few more G Flex devices globally while Samsung only launched the Galaxy Round in limited markets. Does LG know something that Samsung hasn't figured out yet?

Source: GforGames

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Perhaps LG has some of the manufacturing processes locked down with patents that Samsung can't use. But I think its more along the lines that Samsung probably can't free up some of its production capabilities to produce more QHD displays because of demand for their normal HD displays. LG either has more production capabilities or not as high of a demand for HD displays and can focus more on QHD.

Either way, meh. that resolution is just a sales pitch.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I still can't figure out why they want to make a QHD. 720 looks fine to me. The S5 I have is boring to use. After enjoying an S-Off M8 for a while the S5 just seems like an old boring iPhone. I used to really like Samsung a lot. But after the G2, Moto X, and M8... meh. The Galaxy line is just stale. Maybe I'll change my mind if I get my hands on this new S5, but I doubt it.

KaChow

Reaction score
All I have to say is according to the Korean Press, which recorded a statement by Samsung's CEO J.K. Shin which (translated by Google) reads, "in addition to the premium model adds the Galaxy S5 expectation that article was to bring the wrong," said "Galaxy S5 and as such, no such thing," he said. Source (Android Authority's interpretation) I wonder if "Prime" is a premium model? :biggrin:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I still can't figure out why they want to make a QHD. 720 looks fine to me. The S5 I have is boring to use. After enjoying an S-Off M8 for a while the S5 just seems like an old boring iPhone. I used to really like Samsung a lot. But after the G2, Moto X, and M8... meh. The Galaxy line is just stale. Maybe I'll change my mind if I get my hands on this new S5, but I doubt it.

I agree with all that except the 720 resolution. On the Note 3, 720 would have looked bad. I dont' mind 1080 as you don't see the pixels at all. The last generation of 720p phones I could see the pixels. Was it annoying and obvious, no, but 1080 cleared that up. After I got my M8, I felt like I had been missing out. The whole standardization of Samsung devices makes them all the same and nothing feels new. I tried to get S-Off on my M8 and it didn't work. I have an M8 that can't get S-off unless a new way of doing it is created. It kind of sucks because I have to reroot from time to time. Even my wife left the Samsung line of phones and she doesn't care much about that stuff. She said her S4 was just fine but got an M8 because was jealous of my new phone. She says now that it is a world of difference. Samsung won't see my business until some new fresh life is put into them.

Bara65

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with production capacity or patent. The low yield of QHD screen at Samsung is simply due to it being AMOLED. LG is using LCD screen which is easier to produce at the same pixel size vs OLED.