New Rumors Shed Light on Premium Samsung Galaxy S5 is Project KQ with 2K Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-sign-via-AFP.jpg

For quite a while we have been reporting rumors regarding a supposed "premium" version of the Samsung Galaxy S5 which will include a 2K display. New intel has come to light which may fully explain the details. According to this new info, Samsung is developing a new device called Project KQ with the model number model G900. Earlier rumors pegged this device as either a variant of the Galaxy S5, or an F Series Prime Galaxy phone. If this newest rumor is true, it turns out the truth is somewhere in between.

Here's a quote with the details,

It very well could be a Galaxy S 5 variant because it has been revealed that its internal codename is Project KQ (model G900). The Galaxy S 5 was Project K, so KQ puts it in the same family. Turns out that Samsung’s original plan was to have a 2560 x 1440 display on the Galaxy S 5, but they had to scrap it because of production issues. At some point during the development of the device, they decided to stick with a 1080p display.

This decision obviously didn’t stop development of the higher-end device, and it’s now being reported that KQ is in the middle to the late phase of development. As of right now, it’s also sporting an Exynos 5430 and Intel LTE. The Exynos 5430 is a slight upgrade in clock speed over the Exynos 5422, but the display controller is more suited for a higher resolution display. The Intel LTE chip is most interesting as it is the first time Intel would trump Qualcomm on a high profile phone.

From what the source of this intel shared, this device will likely only be available in a limited quantity in South Korea only, although Samsung hasn't completely ruled out a limited run in the U.S. as well. Ultimately it will depend on production numbers and if Samsung thinks they market a higher end device anywhere else besides their home country.

Source: TalkAndroid

Bara65

Reaction score
I think I don't want to be the first ones testing the 2K screen phones. 2K screen is not mature enough in hardware/software supports yet. It's not just Samsung, I won't get G3, new Oppo Find for the same reason. Full HD 1080p screen should be more than good enough for my needs.

KaChow

Reaction score
@DGStorm

It's all starting to add up.... This makes perfect sense, this is not just another Galaxy device, this is the Galaxy Nexus.

Source

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
This is clearly a K project. K = Galaxy S5. What makes you think this is a Nexus product?

KaChow

Reaction score
I think Samsung is getting their shot at the 2014 Nexus. What Flagship devices are left? LG has the G3 that is coming out shortly. Samsung already launched the S5, HTC launched the M8, who know's what Motorola is doing. The only Nexus worthy device manufacturers are Samsung and LG, that have solid technology on the table. I think the KQ project is the Samsung Nexus as it makes perfect sense, perfect timing and it will come out just in time for the New iPhone to be released....

Who's buying the new Galaxy S5? Lots of iPhone owners

KaChow

Reaction score
Why are you so exited about the new Nexus, we on Verizon could care less, since it will never see big red.

That's actually a good thing. :biggrin:

But, what is interesting and what I happen to be a fan of here. Is that if Samsung is having a great a success right now of converting iPhone users to S5 owners, then I think this is a great idea. Why not have a Google/Samsung partnership take out Apple, at their most vulnerable moment the launch of their next iPhone. The strategy is perfect Google is helping Samsung in paying court fees from the lawsuit, why not put a Monster of a phone with the latest technology and most desirable features, including removable battery, expandable micro-sd card, in addition to the QHD features.

Apple what?!?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apple isn't going anywhere.

But Samsung already had a Nexus phone. It's clearly Moto's turn, something I think Google was reluctant to go forward with while they owned Moto. And, really, the Moto X WAS something of a Nexus phone in several respects.

Anyway, I just want a phone running vanilla Android that I can root. I have no interest in paying for a 2k display that adds 0 value for me (I think 1080p is already overkill).

KaChow

Reaction score
Apple isn't going anywhere.

Read through this article it's insightful on "Why Apple has stopped growing..."

But Samsung already had a Nexus phone. It's clearly Moto's turn, something I think Google was reluctant to go forward with while they owned Moto. And, really, the Moto X WAS something of a Nexus phone in several respects.

After Googlerola I don't think Motorola stands a chance @ Nexus other than what's left in the Googlerola pipeline...

bigdad63

Reaction score
I wonder if the premium engineers are smart enough to put the speaker on the front of the phone or are they idiots as well?

jspradling7

Reaction score
"There is no spoon."

I'll believe it exists when I can buy one.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the premium engineers are smart enough to put the speaker on the front of the phone or are they idiots as well?

I think that's really a mixed bag. It makes a lot more sense for tablets, but as someone who listens to audio on my phone almost exclusively with headphones I'd prefer not to have the additional bezel for front-facing speakers I don't need.