Samsung's Next Big Thing May Be in Your Home Instead of Your Pocket

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
smartthings-product-image.jpg

According to the latest reports, Samsung may be in talks to purchase smart home startup company SmartThings for $200 million. (That's not a bad haul for a company which started on Kickstarter not too long ago.)

This move from Samsung should not come as a surprise. They have been digging deeply into home automation for sometime now. In fact, as we reported recently, they have even teamed up with two different home automation standards groups in order to cover all their bases in this lucrative emerging market.

It appears that Samsung's next big tech push will be in this home automation sector, and if they can execute quickly, they will be ahead of their arch-rival Apple in this market. This could also be a move to try and catch up with Google in this same market, who recently purchased Nest, Inc, makers of automated digital smart-thermostats.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily always work out for Sammy. They were the first to market with smartwatches, but that hasn't been very successful for them. It also may not have dampened consumer enthusiasm for the potential iWatch which keeps popping up in the news.

Despite this, it's a wise move on Samsung's part to push hard and fast into this market. With their bevy of products, from smartphones, to TVs, to refrigerators and more, this is just one more tangent worth traversing for the titan of tech.

Source: TechCrunch

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would totally use things like this but not from Samsung. They are trying to make their own ecosystem like Apple does. I'd rather have a device made by Google or from that new 'alliance' of companies http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...rs-team-up-to-improve-home-automation.271039/ . I know Samsung is in there too but as a group I'd like to think a standard would be made instead of going on whatever direction they want individually.

Did any of that make sense?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would totally use things like this but not from Samsung. They are trying to make their own ecosystem like Apple does. I'd rather have a device made by Google or from that new 'alliance' of companies http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...rs-team-up-to-improve-home-automation.271039/ . I know Samsung is in there too but as a group I'd like to think a standard would be made instead of going on whatever direction they want individually.

Did any of that make sense?
Yep! Made sense to me. :)