Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-white-color.jpg

Samsung’s Galaxy Gear smartwatch looks to be off to a very bad start. Seen inside of the document, there has been an above 30% return rate for the device. A number that is high for a device that has seen a ton of both positive and negative publicity. Although, some reviews for the Gear gave it rather low scores for lacking any real functionality or worth for consumers. That doesn’t cover the $300 price tag.
Samsung has asked employees on hand at the Samsung store inside Best Buy locations to dig deeper and start asking customers exactly why they are returning the device. When Samsung gains enough feedback, maybe they can either fix its current problem or do better with Galaxy Gear 2.

Has anyone here purchased Gear, only to later return it?

Source

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ah, nothing to worry about. Samsung's got their best astroturfers on this already -- it'll be as good as gold by Monday!

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, stupid to sync with the phone. And most people would not spring for a separate data plan (although maybe it would work with shared plans).

Target this to the fitness market and you have a winner. That means strip-out most of the social media stuff and Sammie UI and just focus on apps for running, cycling, weightlifting, etc...Beef-up the memory so people can store mp3's to listen to. The ability to sync this Android device with your phone and other gadgets is what would make it appealing vs. alternatives.

alexcool

Reaction score
It is too expensive to buy,I don't think it can do anything for my life

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
1. it's not waterproof.
2. no front facing camera.
3. pathetic battery.
4. overpriced.
5. NO THANKS!

i'll stick to my tag heuer or longines.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
All I want is a watch that:

1. Tells time
2. Counts my steps
3. Senses my heart rate
4. Must be water proof

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I want is a watch that:

1. Tells time
2. Counts my steps
3. Senses my heart rate
4. Must be water proof

I got a heart rate monitor for that.
It lasted about as long as a $1 watch before I broke the crystal.
My list for a smart watch #1-10 items would be Mark being Mark proof followed by 9 "ditto"s .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

mykl376

Reaction score
It just seems overpriced to me. Plus, I bet a lot of those returns are people who bought it without checking if it was compatible with their device.

Also, fitness yes, fashion no. I'd use this while working out, with a HR monitor, but I don't generally wear any jewelry other than my wedding ring, don't like the irritation.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not a fashion accessory. And for $300 even the "I have so much money to blow I wasted it on a $300 watch" falls woefully short compared to people wearing $2000+ watches.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I got a heart rate monitor for that.
It lasted about as long as a $1 watch before I broke the crystal.
My list for a smart watch #1-10 items would be Mark being Mark proof followed by 9 "ditto"s .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Yeah, if I need a smart watch it better be all of that and a bag of chips.

If it could really be live video phone, perhaps two pickups. It'd have to be Jetson but other than that, yawn.

Don't need one. Check out this article.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/26/sony-smartwatch-2-review?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000594

KaChow

Reaction score
When I was talking to the District Manager at Verizon and when he was probing me as to why I didn't want to but the Galaxy Gear watch. I told him flat out and simple enough, to me watches are Jewelry, I don't wear necklaces, I wear a Plat/22kt wedding band, but I don't wear anything else that is gouwdy or tasteless. My watch is a high end two-tone Chronograph Automatic, and the Swiss timing is precise. I don't trust a battery on my wrist, if I have to go 2-3 without a chargeable power source I want to know that I can keep the exact and precise time, and not have to worry about turning my watch off to save the battery. I'm simply not interested in owning one of these devices, as they remind of these days... pic below...

509px-Cfx400c.JPG

Maybe Samsung should try to create something like this in their next go around...

Maxwell_Smart_and_Shoe_Phone_from_Get_Smart.jpg

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
People don't get it.

The Galaxy Gear is not for tech heads like you and I. It's for people that want what other people can't or won't pay for to get. It's for those who think it's awesome having a watch that costs 300 smackers, knowing no one you see on the train, at work, or in your social circles is going to have one; probably because no has the discretionary income to afford it, or no one is stupid enough to think they need one.

This is an accessory for the minority, not the masses.