1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Samsung's Bid for a New Trial Raises 'Jury Misconduct' Issue as Well As Time Crunch

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just as predicted, Samsung just appealed to the U.S. courts to have their lost case against Apple overturned in a bid for a new trial. The two primary issues they raised are jury misconduct and unfair time constraints Here's a quote with a few details on the jury misconduct,

Their primary argument of jury misconduct comes from the several post-trial interviews that were conducted with jury foreman Velvin Hogan, in which he indirectly implied that he used his previous experience with patents to influence the jury. In fact, another juror, named Manuel Ilagan who was also interviewed after the trial, basically confirmed this. He indicated that Hogan used his understanding of the process to guide the jury. Here's a quote from Ilagan, "Hogan was jury foreman. He had experience. He owned patents himself...so he took us through his experience. After that it was easier."

What is especially troubling about this is that Velvin Hogan was specifically instructed by Judge Lucy Koh not to do this. She also specifically told jurors that they must "decide the case solely on the evidence before you." Here's another quote from the article with more details,

Even though this appears to be a fairly strong argument for Samsung, it is going to be an uphill battle to get this verdict overturned. U.S. courts generally loath post-verdict probes into jury deliberations, so Samsung will have to make a convincing argument. Brian Love, a law professor at Santa Clara University who followed the trial had this to say, "I think it's going to be a little tough [to overturn the verdict because of allegations of jury misconduct]. You're looking for material or something else coming in that wasn't introduced at trial, a juror reading reports about the case and they're being influenced by outside forces."

Still, Samsung is not hanging their hat solely on this argument, but their second idea seems a bit weaker. They are also arguing that the Judge in the case didn't give them enough time to prepare for trial. Here's one more quote explaining it,

Let's keep our fingers crossed that some level-headed judge in the appeals process will come to the conclusion that something was wonky.

Thanks for the tip, armeddroid!

Source: CNET
    5 people like this.
  2. _33

_33 New Member

25 hours each? A Lindsay Lohan probation hearing gets that much time! How can they restrict a potential BILLION dollar case like that?
    1 person likes this.
  3. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. With the complicated issues at play, this trial was rushed from the get go. It makes you wonder what Judge Koh had going on that was so much more important? Does she not like her job? I don't believe for a second that it was rigged, and I don't even believe the judge was biased toward Apple either, but I don't believe she handled this case very well, and it makes me wonder why she rushed it. Of course that is just my perspective. I wasn't there and I don't really know.
  4. Zecpull

Zecpull New Member

This Trial was Fishy from the start

I wonder how much Apple Stock the Judge Holds.. ? Or at least his Family. I couldnt believe How biased this judge seemed to be towards Apple. That has been the concision on some other forums I have seen.
  5. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

From what I read, it sure appeared that the judge was hurrying everything and not hearing out the evidence.

Perhaps it was just my interpretation. Idk.