Apple vs. Samsung: Second Interview With Jury Foreman Worse Than the First & More

ambrown

Reaction score
Lol, lots if people lie to get into, and out of jury duty.. all I'm saying.

When I was called for jury duty once I sat through the proceedings of choosing the jury, though I was not ultimately chosen, we were all asked if we had experienced anything relating to vandalism (the allegation of the case I was being considered for) and was asked if I had ever been a victim of vandalism or even if I knew someone that had been victimized and if I could set that aside to serve on the jury in an unbiased function for that case. But it's not like the court can make someone tell the truth, I could have said all the right things and then hoped I got chosen for the case, regardless if what I said was true or if I just wanted to say what the judge, and respective legal teams for the plaintiff and defendant, wanted to hear.

acousticshade

Reaction score
As I've said in other posts, this is what happens when you have one 'A type' personality on the jury & the rest are B'a or C's. One person should not decide and if you have one person who is educated and is good at influencing people, that's exactly what happens.

jseah

Reaction score
When I was called for jury duty once I sat through the proceedings of choosing the jury, though I was not ultimately chosen, we were all asked if we had experienced anything relating to vandalism (the allegation of the case I was being considered for) and was asked if I had ever been a victim of vandalism or even if I knew someone that had been victimized and if I could set that aside to serve on the jury in an unbiased function for that case. But it's not like the court can make someone tell the truth, I could have said all the right things and then hoped I got chosen for the case, regardless if what I said was true or if I just wanted to say what the judge, and respective legal teams for the plaintiff and defendant, wanted to hear.

Every time I get selected for jury duty, I know that as soon as I get selected from the pool to sit on the panel, I will get thrown off the jury during the jury challenges, and will usually be the first jury challenge. I have been called to jury duty eight times, excused by the judge once (I was a college student at the time), one case was settled before jury selection, one time I didn't get selected to the jury and had to call in for the remainder of the week, and the remaining 5 times, I was selected for the jury and was excused during the jury challenges.

A few years back, I was selected for the jury on a criminal case where the defendent was accused of raping his stepdaughter. When his wife found out, they got into a fight and he allegedly then tied up both the wife and daughter and beat them with a guitar. So he was being charged with rape, assault and battery, and imprisoning the victims. During the jury selection phase, one of the questions we were asked were whether we were, or knew anyone who had been raped before. I answered no and some young guy who had also been selected for the jury replied that his current girlfriend was raped before. The funny thing is, when the defending attorney made his first jury challenge, he selected me to be excused from the jury rather than the guy whose girlfriend had been raped.

In the case of the Apple/Samsung case, I'm surprised that the Samsung attorneys allowed a patent holder to stay on the jury, although maybe they thought that he would be partial towards them since he claimed to use an Android phone.

ambrown

Reaction score
@jseah, that's crazy! That last case was really messed up.
jseah said:
During the jury selection phase, one of the questions we were asked were whether we were, or knew anyone who had been raped before. I answered no and some young guy who had also been selected for the jury replied that his current girlfriend was raped before. The funny thing is, when the defending attorney made his first jury challenge, he selected me to be excused from the jury rather than the guy whose girlfriend had been raped.

In the case of the Apple/Samsung case, I'm surprised that the Samsung attorneys allowed a patent holder to stay on the jury, although maybe they thought that he would be partial towards them since he claimed to use an Android phone.

I too noticed that the people that talked more seemed to get picked to be on the actual panel, whether or not they had some crazy backstory. I didn't say much and they passed me up for another guy that had several things to mention. I guess if I had said more or made up a few minor incidences then I might have been picked:p

But really, yeah you'd think this Velvin "The Hulk" Hogan guy would have been an early dismissee. But hey maybe Apple picked him on purpose since they had an inkling that he'd swing their way.

It still seems that according to press interviews with all the jury members that Hogan was the one who led them to the conclusion that Apple deserved a billion and a half dollars in "punitive" money (I say punitive because there's no way in h#ll that Samsung did a billion dollars in damages). And Hogan was the one tallying up the prize money for Apple.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

jseah

Reaction score
@jseah, that's crazy! That last case was really messed up.

I too noticed that the people that talked more seemed to get picked to be on the actual panel, whether or not they had some crazy backstory. I didn't say much and they passed me up for another guy that had several things to mention. I guess if I had said more or made up a few minor incidences then I might have been picked:p

I honestly wouldn't mind serving on a jury at all, especially since my employer would pay me my full salary while I am serving. But the lawyers always choose to have me excused from the jury. I guess it is true what they say, that accountants never get picked for the jury since they are too analytic. The lawyers don't want people that are good with numbers and likes to look at all the facts sitting and deciding on a case.