Samsung Tablet updates

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
I have a pretty old (in tech years) Samsung Tab 4 tablet which has not been supported with updates in quite some time.

1. Can I somehow manually update it with security patches?

2. I assume Samsung provides updates to their tablets similar to their phones. Therefore, I believe it may be time for me to replace this device.

3. Does anyone know how other tablet manufacturers support their devices?

4. Anyone have a recommendation for my replacement ... please.

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hi there.. I'm thinking no more updates for this older tablet... SamMobile will have the latest firmware date for region...

Hopefully someone here can recommend a good replacement. I saw Samsung had a new one recently but not following the reviews..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think @cerisecons still uses Samsung tablets? Maybe not, but I thought I remembered a post recently about tablets. I switched from tablets to a Chromebook a few years ago and haven't been keeping up with who still makes Android tablets.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
I started to look at the new iPad simply because they are fully supported with updates. They cost much more, which is holding me back from pulling the trigger and buy one.

Would a Chrome book be a viable alternative??

I have a Microsoft Surface Book, which detaches to a tablet .. the tablet portion is really too big.

But good food for thought ... do I really need to replace the Samsung Tablet with another tablet or with something else???

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's a tough call. Many Chromebooks like mine fold over and can operate in tent mode or completely into tablet mode. But app support is still not as good as a traditional tablet. Not every Android app works on Chromebooks. So that's something to keep in mind. As much as I love Android, iPads are hard to beat when it comes to tablets...OS updates, apps work, app updates....

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using a 3 year old Samsung Tab S4 and thought about upgrading this year but the regular S7 with the LCD vs OLED screen is holding my back and the S7+ is beyond what I need. The reality is really don't need to upgrade as the S4 is still quite useable, but I'm sure I've seen the last OS update for it (currently Android 10).

Having said all that and not knowing what your useage is, maybe picking up a leftover S6 or S5 could keep you going for a lot less $$$

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Good morning, I have the Samsung S4 as well, and it had an update recently, Oct 1, as I just checked. The latest security update on my Note 10 Plus is Nov 1.
I love the Tablet form, and when this tablet fails, I'll grab the new S7.

My wife is an Apple user and I just recently got her into another iPad, not too expensive, at Costco, I believe it was 429 for the 128gb.

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
My only disappointment with my existing Samsung Tab 4 is that it is no longer receiving updates.

I understand that iPads will continue to receive updates, so I am contemplating replacing my Tab 4 with an iPad.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
You realize you will become a traitor to the android forum community and tossed aside like chaff....
LOL, I kid....
They are very different than our Android tablets, you probably know that... But occasionally I mess with my wife's, setup, issues she needs fixed etc, and I'm not impressed/don't care for the functionality I'm used too...

I had an iPad Pro11 for the end of 2018 into 2019, I tried to love it... But alas, I went back to the S4...

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
I am probably one of the biggest Apple haters in the world ... so it is remarkable that I am even saying these words. Receiving patch updates is important to me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's unfortunate that Google & the Android community in general seemed to have just given up on the tablet market.

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
As I mentioned on a separate discussion, I purchased a replacement for my aging Tab 4, and I remained loyal to the Android and Samsung family by purchasing the Galaxy Tab S6 10.5, 256 GB (Wi-Fi) S-Pen included ... Seems a lot like my Note-10.... I purchased it directly from Samsang, and the price included a black Friday and military discounts. So, I think I ended up with a good deal. Thanks for all your discussion and exceptional help!

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I am "not fond" of you right now....

I just went to samsung tonight to see their black Friday deals on tablets...