Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Wow! That's a bit much MBM. Here's the app permissions for my flashlight app.
rvnr5Xa.png

Very minimal and it works great.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's a bit much MBM. Here's the app permissions for my flashlight app.
rvnr5Xa.png

Very minimal and it works great.

S5 tap'n
I just used that as an example of how easy it is for stuff to interact and to be honest that interaction of aftermarket stuff is what I dislike so much about fragmentation. 1 line of code error on an app that has nothing to do with the bug can create a huge bug. Android Webserver was a great example. It totally screwed up my texting apps, though they had nothing to do with each other.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Reactions: cr6

Serene

Reaction score
yea, it would be a good idea to have the option to remove this bloatware.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've been saying this for years...give vanilla Android.. And we will download what we want...plain and simple.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been saying this for years...give vanilla Android.. And we will download what we want...plain and simple.
I really wouldn't mind Sense on my Notes. That'd be pretty cool

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Never quite understood how it's legal to advertise storage space on a device, only to then have a huge fraction of that taken away from the user. How is that not the definition of false advertisement?

I propose that manufacturers don't necessarily have to remove bloat (it is their own device, after all), but that they MUST legally advertise AVAILABLE storage space to the consumer. Then all manufacturers will be competing to have the most available, and the problem solves itself over time. None of this "32GB iPhone" or "32GB Samsung" nonsense. What does the user REALLY get?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem is that a lot of apps that come preinstalled are intermingled with the Android framework for that manufacturer, so uninstalling is almost impossible.

This is a growing problem that has it's pluses and minuses.

First, this all starts with Google locking things down more and more. Even with root, 3rd party apps can't do everything they could for us. But the OEM's are able to, however that means installing as a system app that you can't remove without root.

IMO, this is starting to approach illegal competition (think MS bundling IE prominently and making it difficult to install Netscape). Even with root, developers still can't compete on all features with Google and the OEM's. And without root it's not fair competition, at all.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a growing problem that has it's pluses and minuses.

First, this all starts with Google locking things down more and more. Even with root, 3rd party apps can't do everything they could for us. But the OEM's are able to, however that means installing as a system app that you can't remove without root.

IMO, this is starting to approach illegal competition (think MS bundling IE prominently and making it difficult to install Netscape). Even with root, developers still can't compete on all features with Google and the OEM's. And without root it's not fair competition, at all.
Apple has Cydia.
Is there a root market for Android?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

GAstorino

Reaction score
And if I pay full poke for a phone it should come with ZERO bloatware. If their programs are so great they should let me download them as I want. Half these bloatware items always seem to be calling out to something or running in the background and you can't disable half of them.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And if I pay full poke for a phone it should come with ZERO bloatware. If their programs are so great they should let me download them as I want. Half these bloatware items always seem to be calling out to something or running in the background and you can't disable half of them.
This is exactly what I mean..and as far as the manufacturer apps being able to better serve us...and the question of root..as was just said...if I paid full retail for my device..I should be able to get it as vanilla as I want..and if they have awesome apps that can do stuff to wow me...then they should say...and to add more convenience to your phone..check out these available add in apps to further enhance your device...and blah blah...

That way Mr common user will download all these add on apps and slow down his device..while if I choose not to..I can be as vanilla as I want or with a certain streamlined set if apps to make my phone do what I want it to..

As far as root..wasn't there a big battle over this already?? Unlocked and rooted are two separate things...yes..but I believe if my device is paid for...than root shouldn't be out of the equation..and not a flash root...a factory supplied root giving me access to a device that I own ..outright..

We're starting to see this fight with car manufacturers now...they want the government to back them ..saying you can't ever fully own a car because of the programming inside..and they don't want you to be able to alter this in any way...so Verizon on wheels??? Complete with 4g hotspot..