Samsung Moves Forward with Flexible Displays for Gadgets; Coming First Half 2013

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sammy-display-tech.jpg

It's been a while since we have heard any cool news about Samsung's flexible OLED display technology. Today the dry spell ends, and the news is very exciting! According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Samsung has worked out several of the problems they were having meeting deadlines with their new flexible display tech. In fact, they are now in the last phase of development for the technology and will likely bring devices to market in the first half of next year.

As we reported previously, this same report re-confirms that Samsung will first introduce the technology in devices that are not flexible. Instead they will come with a thin layer of glass on top inside traditional mobile devices. Here's a quote with more details on why that will be the case,

Samsung's push has taken on more urgency, because other display makers are also moving to introduce different screen technologies for cellphones and tablets. Sharp Corp. 6753.TO +3.07% of Japan and LG Display are already selling liquid-crystal displays with technology used for the screens of Apple Inc.'s AAPL -1.66% iPhone 5. The "in cell" technology makes the smartphone's screen thinner by integrating touch sensors into the liquid crystal display, eliminating the need for a separate touch-screen layer.

Samsung is able to invest heavily in the display business despite a supply glut of panels as its profits are soaring. In the third quarter, Samsung Electronics' net profit surged 91% from a year earlier to about $6 billion.

The vice president of Samsung's display unit, Lee Chang-hoon, said the company is currently sampling the displays with a few customers. Mr. Lee said the release date of a new product based on flexible displays hasn't been determined yet.

"The key reason for Samsung to use plastic rather than conventional glass is to produce displays that aren't breakable. The technology could also help lower manufacturing costs and help differentiate its products from other rivals," said Lee Seung-chul, an analyst at Shinyoung Securities.

Additionally, it will take time for Samsung to revamp their production line for the new technology, and they need to gradually ease off from their current display technology so as not to shoot themselves in the foot.

Source: WSJ

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I just don't get the need.
A flexible phone? If it helps regular phones have screens that don't break as easy, cool. But an actual flexible display? What are the practical applications of that?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
So that is your pocket bends so will the phone thus not breaking the screen.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Then you need bendable plastic and bendable batteries.
Besides, let's be honest, phones don't crack because they are in your pocket. They crack when you drop them.
Having broken 3 phones, an ipad and my Android tablet... I know. lol

MaCe

Reaction score
Then you need bendable plastic and bendable batteries.
Besides, let's be honest, phones don't crack because they are in your pocket. They crack when you drop them.
Having broken 3 phones, an ipad and my Android tablet... I know. lol

exactly this .. what good is a bendable screen if the rest of the parts are solid ?

Reaction score
exactly this .. what good is a bendable screen if the rest of the parts are solid ?

When people do their phone the thing that breaks 99% of the time is the screen. This would eliminate that. Also a slightly more flexible build material for the phones case and they could probably do some interesting things with this.

Sent from Razr Maxx running Full Throttle Killer Bean

Asgard

Reaction score
There are flexible plastics (they are the base of the flexible screens) and flexible batteries but they are not too efficient.
The flexible displays are not such a big deal as a consumer, but they are a great step-technology wise.
If this paves up the road for the flexible organic solar cells, I'm ok with it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Willow glass is flexible too.. how much.. idk.

This opens up a wide variety in designs.. who knows what phones will look like in the near future.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;suaTOGgzQxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suaTOGgzQxA[/video]

flexible.... that kind of stuff is on the horizon with technology like flexible screens

52brandon

Reaction score
bbetween this kind of display and that microscopic coating that water-proofs a phone, there will be MUCH less need for replacement. I love it

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
bbetween this kind of display and that microscopic coating that water-proofs a phone, there will be MUCH less need for replacement. I love it

unless they intentionally leave a few flaws that will make you upgrade/replace. Another great piecer of tech to use on our phones would be the healing plastic. Anytime you get a nick, scratch, or scuff, it will heal every time you plug your phone in to charge.