Samsung modifies ICS Face Unlock Security with blink requirement

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ics_face_unlock.jpg

Samsung is primarily known for its great hardware engineers who design powerful, feature-rich phones like the Galaxy series. Today, however, its their software engineers that will be getting some well-deserved attention and praise. Apparently, Samsung has improved upon one of Google's designs in their customized version of Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich.

Noticing that Google was criticized because their Face Unlock Security feature in ICS could be fooled by a photograph, Samsung engineers figured out a way to beef it up. Google may have admitted that it was more of a gimmick than a true biometric security feature, but Samsung decided to take it a step further. Samsung's improvement was to simply require a blink during the face unlocking procedure. While this does not make the feature fool-proof, it does go a long way toward making it actually more secure.

Ultimately, there is still a long way to go before the Facial Security feature is truly viable, as it still has problems with haircuts, sunglasses and different expressions. Still, it's nice to see it slowly evolving into something potentially useable. What do you guys think? Has anyone in the forums with an ICS device been able to play with the feature much?

Source: SlashGear

SupAll

Reaction score
That's a rather simple solution. Nice job whoever at Samsung thought of it.

I think the next step up is to integrate voice and facial recognition so that one has to speak in order to unlock it, while the camera captures the not only the face, but the lip movement. That'd be neat.

jerkwad

Reaction score
nothing that an animated .gif file can't circumvent right? (didn't read the actual article)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm holding out for retinal scan. Then I'll be impressed ;) :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
i wonder if they'll ever implement fingerprint scanning as a way to unlock? i know there is at least one lockscreen app that already does that but i'm sure google could improve upon it and make it a stock feature

kevins686

Reaction score
Something for you to ponder, Samsung.

Let's say while visiting my friend to show her my new Samsung phone, her pet chimpanzee goes bat**** crazy and rips my face off. Did Samsung think to include a skull-recognition feature? A face-transplant override? No? Sounds to me like customers with this sort of predicament are going to be left high and dry. Your fancy blink thingie isn't going to be much help for someone who no longer has eyelids. Granted, someone who's just been skull-f***ed by a monkey probably has bigger concerns, but that does not relieve you of your obligation as a responsible, inclusive corporation to provide products and services that are useful to those with, shall we say, unusual disabilities.

The world is watching, Samsung.

(Sorry, I just had it out with Verizon customer service. Right now, humor is my outlet.)

rakumiazuri

Reaction score
XFD I never took monkey attacks into account

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sb1831

Reaction score
If your face gets ripped off by a monkey you can still type in your pin I assume...

Reaction score
ics_face_unlock.jpg

Ultimately, there is still a long way to go before the Facial Security feature is truly viable, as it still has problems with haircuts, sunglasses and different expressions. Still, it's nice to see it slowly evolving into something potentially useable. What do you guys think? Has anyone in the forums with an ICS device been able to play with the feature much?

Source: SlashGear

Ben playing with ics on my razr and the face unlock had a feature for you to add multiple versions so this paragraph isn't an issue. Many phone recognizes me with our without sun glasses, with our without a hat on, and since I had a week's worth out facial hair yesterday but am clean shaven now, it has both images stored to recognize me with our without facial hair. So far it has not failed to recognize me once.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk