Samsung is Supposedly Considering a Leasing Program for Galaxy Phones Just Like Apple's New Plan

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-S6-versus-iPhone-6-versus-Nokia-Lumia-930-1.jpg

We wouldn't fault you if you didn't know about Apple's new iPhone leasing program. Suffice it to say, it's a pretty aggressive offer that allows owners of an iPhone to get an unlocked iPhone on an monthly plan (starting from $32). It even allows you to upgrade to a new iPhone each year if you want to. Apple even includes their Apple Care service for free with the monthly plan. You also have the option of simply keeping what you have and then paying off the full retail price of the phone and ending the lease.

Either way, it's a handy way for folks to get a new iPhone constantly without being beholden to carrier contracts. The reason it is relevant here on an Android site is that Samsung is reportedly going to follow Apple's lead on this concept. According to the latest scuttlebutt, Samsung is thinking about offering their own lease program for Galaxy smartphones, and it will probably be very similar to what Apple is offering on the iPhone.

We have to say, it's actually a pretty neat idea. It basically obligates you to a $30-$40 per month lease, but it lets you get a shiny new flagship every year. Of course, if you find yourself happy with your current device, you can simply pay it off and end the lease.

What do you folks think? Could these direct from the OEM leases, finally be the death-knell of the two-year contracts with carriers?

Source: Forbes

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Man, I wish Verizon would just do this for all phones with their Edge program. Really cool concept :), although I'm not sure I'd want to be spending 30+ a month on it, I think my G4 is only about 22/mo.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Tmobile has been doing this for a while now. Sprint does it as well. I would rather deal with my carrier than directly with the OEM when it comes to warranty service.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Tmobile has been doing this for a while now. Sprint does it as well. I would rather deal with my carrier than directly with the OEM when it comes to warranty service.

Really? And you don't need to pay off the rest of what you owe on the phone before switching to a newer one if you haven't paid the full retail price yet? Man.. I need to leave VZ..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Really? And you don't need to pay off the rest of what you owe on the phone before switching to a newer one if you haven't paid the full retail price yet? Man.. I need to leave VZ..

You only pay it off if you wish to keep it or want to terminate your service.

I can move between phones three times a year if I'd like to.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

I'm on the original JUMP program for TMobile. By original I mean it was available for about a month. My plan lets me upgrade to a new phone every 6 months without having to pay off half my current device. 6 months, new phone and thats it. I have no intention to get rid of my grandfathered JUMP program.

The next version of JUMP required you to pay off half the device balance. The latest JUMP on Demand program lets you get 3 new phones over 18 months (no specific length of time per device) where you lease the device and at the end of 18 months can turn in the last device and start over or keep it and pay off the last 6 months all at once or over 6 months. Not a bad deal IMO, I do JUMP enough but I like my plan still.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh, I haven't seen anything in the past year that made me even think about upgrading my Turbo.

Also, since I'm getting a tablet and smartwatch, my next phone might be mid-tier, at best....and upgrading is 2+ years down the road.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know how to feel about this, but I think I'm glad to see it happening. I'm on the Edge plan with my Note 4. I'm already used to paying an extra $20+ a month payment on my phone on top of my service. The only issue for me is, I'm definitely not going iphone and I'm looking to move on from Samsung with my next device as well. I guess I'll just have to stick with the Edge plan and upgrade once I've paid off the required amount so that I can upgrade to any oem I choose. Would be nice is vzw did something more like the JUMP plan, but I don't see that ever happening.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Apple program is that there are a couple ways you can set up payments. One of those is through a bank, which only gives you interest free payments for a period of time. All of the carrier device payment plans are interest free for the entire span of your agreement. Plus, the iPhone is unlocked. Samsung would have to do the same thing.
Jump on demand is a ripoff for most consumers. If you are not getting a new phone every 4 months, you are overpaying to have the capability. Plus you pay more for the program/insurance. Jump2 makes a lot more sense because the average person doesn't think about upgrading until at least a year. If you don't get a new phone after a year, you are overpaying, yet again.
As for Verizon now requiring you to have 100% paid off before getting a new phone, it's a good thing! The average person when I talk about Jump2/Next/iPhone for life/etc, they don't want to HAVE to trade in their phones. With Verizon now, you never have to trade it in, and we here all know that you're going to get a lot more money selling a phone yourself than if you traded it in.

Sent from my Verizon G4

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
If Samsung did this i would look into it...

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
IMO, we've gotten to the point where manufacturers don't really release anything groundbreaking every year, so unless you HAVE to have the latest and greatest each year, it's a waste of money IMO and really not needed. Purchasing a device every two years will not only provide you with a noticeable improvement in regards to hardware specs, it's much more practical & cost effective. While I understand there are those folks that enjoy having the absolute latest tech, (there's nothing wrong with that), but for the average consumer it's a waste of time & money.
This applies even more so to iPhones, since you can hardly tell a difference between an iPhone 5 & an iPhone 6S Plus Plus Extra Royale w/cheese..... or whatever two extra features they happen to add to their current years device while calling it "groundbreaking".
....just my 2 cents of course.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So if you walk into a Tmobile store you can get a brand new i6S/i6S Plus for $5 a month if you trade in your current i6/i6 Plus. Add $8 to that for the total protection plan and you are looking at $13 a month.

Where are you at Samsung?!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So if you walk into a Tmobile store you can get a brand new i6S/i6S Plus for $5 a month if you trade in your current i6/i6 Plus. Add $8 to that for the total protection plan and you are looking at $13 a month.

Where are you at Samsung?!
But that's the plan offered through T-mo, not through Apple themselves. No oem will match T-mo's insanity. Haha

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
But that's the plan offered through T-mo, not through Apple themselves. No oem will match T-mo's insanity. Haha

Exactly. So you'd be sort of crazy to go with Apple's plan if you you are on TMo.