Samsung Galaxy SII Overclocked to 1.5GHz; Quadrant Hits Phenomenal 4062

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SGS2_4k_quadrant.png

Even though we can't really replicate this here in the States yet, the Samsung Galaxy SII got some over-clocking action from the folks at XDA Developers. They not only managed to get the beast up to 1.5GHz, but they posted the instructions and the Kernel to share with the Android community. Amazingly, when over-clocked to a stable 1.5GHz, the flagship device achieved a phenomenal 4062 quadrant score! For those lucky members that happen to live in a place where they can get the dream-device, below is a video of the overclock, and the instructions for ratcheting it up.
[video=youtube;VZ2oFpzzjqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2oFpzzjqg&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S II Overclocked to 1.5GHz[/video]
The usual disclaimers apply here. Only do this if you know what you’re doing. Though the long term stability/reliability of similar overclocks on other Android based ARM devices is known, this software is provided with no warranty, and I can’t be held responsible if you fry your device.

1. You’ll need the latest version of odin3 and the USB drivers for Windows. jutley’s post on debranding the phone has links to both: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show….php?t=1064894
2. Grab the kernel. It is a tar file for odin with the overclocked kernel and a initramfs with proper modules for the kernel: http://setcpu.com/files/galaxysii_oc_v1.tar
3. Reboot the phone into download mode using ADB:
adb reboot download
4. Flash the kernel using odin3 by placing the tar file in the PDA section and pressing "Start."
5. The phone will reboot automatically.
6. Use SuperOneClick to root your phone if you haven’t already. ADB should have root access with this kernel so it’ll just work.
7. Grab SetCPU and try 1.504GHz.

Source code (with relevant commit for the overclock. I also enabled the interactive governor in the config): https://github.com/coolbho3k/galaxysii_oc
Source: AndroidPolice and XDA Developers

magma_camel

Reaction score
this is just supid fast to bad the phone looks ugly and doenst have a physical keyboard why dont they put this much power in the good phones. heres a suggestion if your going to make a phone with that much power make 2 differnt phones 1 with a keyboard 1 without that way everybody wins thats what motorola did with the X and the D2 basicly the same phone inside one huge the other normal sized with a keyboard and they both LOOK cool

chuckz28

Reaction score
this is just supid fast to bad the phone looks ugly and doenst have a physical keyboard why dont they put this much power in the good phones. heres a suggestion if your going to make a phone with that much power make 2 differnt phones 1 with a keyboard 1 without that way everybody wins thats what motorola did with the X and the D2 basicly the same phone inside one huge the other normal sized with a keyboard and they both LOOK cool

To each his own. I can't stand having a keyboard I never use, making my phone thick and IMO the X is an ugly device with its hump back and hard buttons on the front. To me the GS2 looks fantastic.

magma_camel

Reaction score
My droid 2 is not all that thick its perfect size and I would die if I had to type out texts on a phone with no keyboard or do all my terminal commands on one that would be horrid I use ssh a to and wouldent be able to on a on screen keyboard. But do you diagree that I should at least get the option to have a phone with that much power on a phone with a keyboard?

Sent from my Stomped Droid 2 R2-D2 using DroidForums

chuckz28

Reaction score
Sure, and it's only a matter of time before one arrives. Might not be from Samsung but I expect the Droid 3 to be right up there in terms of power.

magma_camel

Reaction score
Yeah but I thought thw D3 wasent going to have a keyboard

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Zecpull

Reaction score
I agree after switching to the X I could never go back to a keyboard and have more weight and more moving parts.. I am so looking forward to the DroidX2 .. I have seen videos that show 3d Capable video..

fishstick600

Reaction score
whats the battery life like? how hot is the battery running? id imagine 120 degrees... i run my galaxy tablet at 1.4ghz and it gets to 110 at times.. quadrant of 2k+ thats crazy that its getting that high of a score

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that thought I had to have a physical keyboard. Turns out I just needed a phone with a decent touch screen. I hate resistive screen right now. Capacitive ftw...After I got my Droid 1 I barely used the slide out keyboard.

One thing I do miss the slide out keyboard for is playing emulators..yea I think there will be a decent phone with a slide out keyboard thats as powerful as this coming soon, probably from Motorola.

This GS 2 is looking like a monster phone more n more. I did want the Fascinate and almost switched to a family plan so I could have that and my X. I might do that this time on Verizon or whatever carrier I will be on. I dont think I can choose just one phone this go round...lol

Bradleya

Reaction score
I must share that its my great experience with this phone i really like its color schemes and applications.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
This is such a SWEET phone, it's exactly what I've been waiting for. But, from what I'm hearing from the internet it's not going to be a 4G Verizon phone. We'll see.

As far as a keyboard is concerned, I said goodbye to physical keyboards years ago. I used the Sprint Mogul, then the iP****, and then I switched to a D1. I never used the keyboard after having an iP**** because I preferred the screen keyboard even on my Droid. There's a reason keyboards are becoming more and more rare. As people transition to soft keyboards they are realizing that they don't need or miss physical keyboards. But to each his own.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just realized if Samsung does with the GS 2 like it did with the GS 1, there might be a keyboard version of the GS 2, but probably not on Verizon.