Samsung Galaxy S4 Passes Through A Gauntlet of Destructive Tests

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;K4f9gQ7b6Gg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K4f9gQ7b6Gg[/video]​

If you were ever curious how Samsung tests their Galaxy products for durability, then the above video should prove interesting to you. Both the regular version and a Google Edition version of the SGS4 are beaten, battered and abused in the video as we see it put through a hellish torture regiment. These are definitely tests you don't want to try at home despite the results you see in the video, but it makes for an interesting viewing. Enjoy!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nice regimen of tests. At first I was going to be critical of the dunk test because the phone was dunked lying flat on its back allowing the air inside to create a pressure envelope and minimize moisture infiltration...but after seeing the salt water sauna, I decided it was moot.

Nice video...now I just have to learn Mandarin in order to understand it.! LOL!

Fuzzball

Reaction score
now I just have to learn Mandarin in order to understand it.! LOL!

Turn the Closed Captions on with translation to English. For this video it's working well.

I do wonder if they've covered all of the bases with these tests. If they test drops them regularly, I'd expect more cracked screens in the test or less cracked screens in the real world. I read and watch some of the real life drops and not all of them end well. Many seem quite mild and would have failed the tests in the video. I just hope my next phone is as durable as my previous phones. I've been going naked phone lately and haven't had a problem yet.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Nice regimen of tests. At first I was going to be critical of the dunk test because the phone was dunked lying flat on its back allowing the air inside to create a pressure envelope and minimize moisture infiltration...but after seeing the salt water sauna, I decided it was moot.

Nice video...now I just have to learn Mandarin in order to understand it.! LOL!

You still wouldn't understand it after years of Mandarin. Couples classes of Hangugeo classes will do it though.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I supposed this is necessary to ensure durability of the device but as a member of P.E.T.E.D. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Electronic Devices) I feel I need to speak out against such brutality.. :soapbox:

xtor

Reaction score
Did they do a test like this for the note 2?

when in doubt, ask foxkat!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Probably not to this extent. Friend of mine dropped it and cracked it. Only took a drop.

that's why I always get at least a TPU case for my phones... I drop mine regularly (I swear I'm getting clumsier every year) and it's just fine... I remember how bad my D2G looked after just 10 months of use... I'll never go naked (my phone that is :p) again

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
that's why I always get at least a TPU case for my phones... I drop mine regularly (I swear I'm getting clumsier every year) and it's just fine... I remember how bad my D2G looked after just 10 months of use... I'll never go naked (my phone that is :p) again

Yeah. She was using the Samsung flip cover and she dropped it while it was open. She's not clumsy, but kinda stupid when she put it on the edge of the table. We were in a pool party so it touched down on the cement. The crack just missed the camera by couple millimeters. I'm actually got used to going out naked with my D4.

xtor

Reaction score
Imo sammy doesn't use the best materials on the phone exterior so a otter box take up the slack nicely, one day soon I'll make the plung to the all aluminum case

11bravo