Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Infographic Shows Off Edge Features

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
infographic-galaxy-note-edge-start.png

Most of us realize that, for now, the unique YOUM display on the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is mostly just a marketing gimmick. Despite this, there are actually a few ways in which a user can benefit from the oddly shaped extra screen real estate.

Samsung wanted to make sure we were aware of these reasons, so they created a clever infographic to share them. It turns out that those "edges" of the Edge are reserved space of their own and are meant to do some specific things. The above pic is just the beginning of the infographic. The full image can be found in the thread below detailing all of the "reasons" we might want to use the unique new device from Sammy.

Source: Samsung

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that full Samsung Galaxy Note Edge infographic:

Galaxy-Note-Edge-Infographic.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm not seeing this as being gimmicky. Things I consider gimmicky would be a dedicated heart rate monitor on a phone, laser guided camera focusing, focus pixels, unibody chasis, 4k video recording, smart screen, etc.

The addition of the YOUM screen is going to end up with a lot of functionality since Sammy released the SDK to everyone.

You won't have to unlock your phone for a lot of features that now require it.

dtroup64

Reaction score
Question for me (after having shattered my Note 2 that had a middle end case), what kind of cases will be available, and won't they basically block the edge of the "Edge"?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing this as being gimmicky. Things I consider gimmicky would be a dedicated heart rate monitor on a phone, laser guided camera focusing, focus pixels, unibody chasis, 4k video recording, smart screen, etc.

I don't consider anything gimmicky per say, but rather a feature that will either draw the public, or disgust them. For example, I have friends that have Samsung phones and I think the touchwiz interface is rather "gimmicky" as it makes me question 'why is this or that here'. With all the options available, it's almost overwhelming the user. The pull down menu for one is just too busy, but that's my opinion. They like it, so ...there.

Unibody chasis could account for better build quality. Laser guided camera focusing could be better than non laser guided focusing, 4K video recording is moving technology forward, like 1080p video recording did.

The edge screen looks cool. Let's see if this catches on with other manufactures, or if Sammy ushers the way forward. Sammy tends to throw things at the consumer and waits to see what sticks. This is the direct opposite approach for Apple, but works for Samsung.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's the great thing about gimmicks. It's all subjective to the user. I don't want a unibody simply because it kills removable batteries. Laser focusing is totally unneeded with todays fast focusing cameras. 99% of the population won't be able to view anything on a 4k capable screen for a few years yet.

But that's just me though. I like that the options for all of that are there. More options are always better for the end user.

Apple plays it safe. Let others do the ground work and the copy them unapologetically. It's a no brainer for them. Their last true contributions to the tech world was the original iPhone and the original iPad.

wardo

Reaction score
The phone is a decent amount wider than the N4 & N2 so it's out for me.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The phone is a decent amount wider than the N4 & N2 so it's out for me.

The Note Edge is 0.2mm longer, 1.9mm wider, and 1.1mm thinner than the Note 2. That doesn't seem like much of a difference. It is a bit heavier though due to the metal chassis.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It looks like it will be lighter than the Note 2 as well. That's something I didn't expect. Not that holding a phone's weight has ever been an issue lol

wardo

Reaction score
I was really hoping these note 4 ' s would have been smaller than my note 2. I need some seat time for them no doubt.
LG3 size sounds perfect

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah 5.5" is a great screen size. It is more middle of the road for people that like big phones and people that like smaller phones.

I never thought I would own a bigger phone than the Note series. My i6 Plus is longer though with a smaller screen. It totally dwarfs the LG G3 in size due to that humongous home button hogging up real estate.